Bedroom Defense

Which Side?

• Closest to Door

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Away from Door

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters

Chief Jones

When at home or travelling, which side of the bed do you prefer as a prep for defending yourself & spouse? (1) Closest to door--puts you closest to attacker. (2) Away from door--more reaction time, possibly use spouse as barricade :D . Personally, I prefer (2), but I tell the wife it's so she can be closer to the bathroom ;) .

away from door

i prefer greater distance to a possible target,
and my girlfriend won´t notice until the first shot

Last edited:
I'm a creature of habit. I always sleep on the right side of the bed (facing it). Sleeping arrangements are a habit and I don't want to screw up the location of a defensive weapon when I need it most.

At home, also keep a big dog with bigger teeth as a deterrent.

Like Arub, a creature of habit here and always sleep of right side of beds.

When away from home, ".38 always gun" consistently placed in or under boots/clothing on floor at immediate bedside.

Plan B for home includes movement further right to draw fire away from wife and having cover/concealment behind desk and/or bathroom door frame. Plan A includes dog doing his job and giving me time to grab 20 gauge and wife time to take .38 and cover next to right side of water bed.

Away. That pattern may not spread much, but I want to give it every opportunity to spread to at least 2 inches.

There's no "depends on the layout of the bedroom" so I didn't vote.

* If you can get cover by staying closer to the door, it beats concealment away from the door. Some things you might not suspect might be useful for cover: Durock cementboard in bathroom walls, for instance.

* Keeping your options of escape open is also a consideration.

* Look at the lanes of fire and think if you might overpenetrate. If the behind-the-bed concealment would put the lane of fire into the kids' bedroom, then take another angle.

With that said, I'd still like to keep my plans as my own little secret. ;)

- pdmoderator

I'll bring this up, but I'm sure you all know, a mattress is concealment, not cover. You can hide behind it as a psychological barriar, but it will do nothing to stop a bullet aimed through it.

A normal matress is only concealment, true. But I have a waterbed and, when hunkered down on the opposite side, I can't see much penetrating the five or six feet of water unless the BG is armed as well as I would be. But he has no such barrier - he would be flanked by sheetrock and hollow core door. Sucks to be him.

Closest to door if ya want to harm my wife your gonna have to come through me ........she's a keeper.....never once has complained about any of my habits or hobbies or the cost after 15 years.

Back