Bedding

Some of those nice aftermarket stocks dont need bedding, but the used rifles I like to work on shoot a heck of a lot better with freefloating, pillarbedding, and bedding the action in Devcon Plastic Steel. It makes the barreled action "one with its stock".

I've had some rifles which needed work on the stock. I've had others which were half-MOA, right out of the box. It's commonly a matter of quality control in the manufacturing process.

That a brand of rifle gains a reputation for accuracy is an indicator of good quality control at the factory.

But such things as pillar or glass bedding, free-floating of the barrel and other tweaks can commonly improve group sizes.

Another important advantage of a good glass bedding job on a wood stock is stability & reliability. The strengthened/sealed wood stock can resists the elements & hold zero as well as a synthetic.

Yes, as long as the barreled action maintains the same fit and clamping force to the stock from shot to shot in all shooting positions.

bedding worked wonders on an old MosinNagant, but obviously, the benefit you would achieve depends on how good/bad your current stock fits your gun

I've probably bedded over 200 rifles in my 60 years of hobby and part-time gunsmithing and it's never failed to improve accuracy a significant amount.

It's a daunting challenge the first time, but the learning curve is steep, so the second and third jobs are much easier and often better.

The biggest errors? 1. Not foreseeing and nullifying trap points in the action that prevent it from popping out after curing. 2. Not realizing that the action screw holes don't allow full tightening after curing and not removing epoxy from them. 3. Not putting enough masking tape on the bottom, front and sides of the recoil plate. 4. Not using enough of the proper release compound (neutral paste shoe polish is great). 5. Not routing out enough of the barrel channel to fully free-float the barrel. 6. Failing to put enough masking tape to keep epoxy from trigger and bolt release, areas. 7. Not remembering to wax and grease stock screws.

Yes.
Provided it's done correctly and stress-free.
Accuracy is consistency.
Prevent the action from moving under recoil, within the stock, to the greatest extent possible. If it moves and does not return to the exact same position, consistency, and accuracy, suffers.

A bedding job done incorrectly, can be worse than having left it be....
Plenty of threads on the subject, try a search.

Accuracy is consistency.
Prevent the action from moving under recoil, within the stock, to the greatest extent possible. If it moves and does not return to the exact same position, consistency, and accuracy, suffers.
Best three sentences I've seen in one paragraph on the subject of bedding.

Back