Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Keep sanding

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HDmac

Hey, so my picatinny rail came in today and I checked to see how it sat on the receiver, it was about .003 high in the back, so i took some fine grit sand paper and polished up the front a little, which brought it down to about .001 high in the back(printer paper is really tight). Is that enough to justify bedding the base with j-b weld? When I lay my caliper on top, you can just barely see light under it at the very end, so the rail is ever so slightly bent... Not sure if it would be worth messing around with epoxy if I don't have to. FYI this is a up and coming target rifle, so I don't want to compromise precision.

If you "polished" the front surface by hand w/o some sort of guide, it's likely that area is no longer a perfect match for the front ring. I'd use a proper thickness shim under the rear and some red loktite.
How did you determine that the base was incorrectly machined rather than the action ring surfaces not parallel?

I'd use metal shims and "Stud and Bearing Mount" or "Sleeve-Retainer" type Locktite under the base, but Red Loctite on the screws.

Back