Bedding a H-S Precision stock

freestate

I would like to hear from anyone who has experience bedding an action into a H-S Precision stock with full length aluminum bedding block. My question is: How do you do it? I have experience bedding using a wooden stock, but nothing like the H-S Precision. What is the best bedding material (Steel Bed?) and how do you get it to adher properly. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

The H-S Precision stocks are designed so that glass-bedding is not necessary or adviseable. If you search around a bit on www.snipercountry.com (in the "In Review" section, as best I recall), you can find a report where a fellow tested and H-S Precison stock before and after glass-bedding it and found no discernable benefit in bedding it.

Rosco

Rosco, I posted this same question on another board and most responders were of the opinion that I did need to bed the action in this stock. This gun shoots awfully as is, so something has to be done. The decision to bed, therefore, has been made. However, nobody has responded with any advice on how to do it with this particular stock. So, if anyone has any experience bedding an action into this kind of stock I would like to know how I should do it.

See if you can find the article I referenced on www.snipercountry.com As I recall, the author covered at least some of the "how to", as I recall that one needed to use a punch and roughen-up the aluminum bedding block, so the compound would stick.

Rosco

I own a Rem. VS, with the H-S stock. Mine shoots great and doesn't need to be bedded, but some of them apparently do. There are so many variables to getting a rifle to shoot right, that bedding might very well not be your problem. However, lots of guys over on varminthunters.com do "skim bed" their H-S Precision stocks. If you'll go to varminthunters.com, and check, I believe, under technical questions, there'll be detailed instructions how to bed the rifle.

Freestate, I've never had to bed an HS stock but some folks do. I'd probably either try one of the proven methods or experiment. You might also give a look to the muzzle crown, scope and mounts and the chamber itself. George

Back