Beavertail Safety

Brenda

I own a Springfield Armory Ultra Compact.It has a rounded over grip safety.I would like to change to a beavertail grip safety.I have been looking at them in the Brownells catalog.I'm not sure what would be the right one for my gun.
There is one from Smith and Alexander that says it .220" radius fits the S.A. frame contour and eliminates the unsightly gap at the top edge of the frame tangs.
I'm also interested in the Hogue wraparound grip.Do I need to order the Officer Model size?
Thank you, Brenda

HIGHLY RECOMMEND using the Springfield Armory Custom Shop for both advice and 'smithing.

Those guys are good!

I'm going to call them Monday morning.I've been waiting all weekend for Monday to get here. Seems strange to be wishing for a Monday to get here,just glad it's not a work day for me.

the grip saftey fit on some Springfields Ieve seen is awful, esp in the 'rounded type' as opposed to the beavertail, they all have that "gap" you described. Any good smith can install a beavertail, you don't have to send it back to the factory. And for something that specific I'd go to my local smith and ASK to look at some different types. Houges can be had for all 1911 style pistols. I think yous does require the officer model grips, but again you can easily ask any gunsmith if you aren't sure.

The S&A EZ fit grip safety is a perfect match for the Springfield and will install easier than any other. S&A also sells the fixture for filing down the tangs of the frame to fit the new beavertail.

I've got a full-size Stainless Springfield 1911A1..."Pre-Enhanced"...NEVER liked the grip safety...after much looking at Brownell's, I went with a "drop-in" from King's...got the one for "Commanders and Springfield Armory"...and it DID drop right in and work correctly!!! YMMV....mikey357

Back