Beavertail grip safety woes...Help!

Hielo

Ok people, I have a Colt, 1911a1 Government model stock up to this point. I used an Ed Brown beaver tail jig to file off the original grip safety spur, it is as smooth and flowing as a babies bottom, reblued as per instructions here (thanks guys) and it looks like it is original equiptment. I am using an Ed Brown beavertail memory grip safety as a replacement for the original colt part. It fits into place, it is under tension from the leaf spring, but it does not disengage to allow the hammer to drop. Upon reinstalling the original colt grip safety, I get hammer drop. Anyone have any idea of what I am doing wrong, or what I need to file/machine/sacrifice dead chickens over to make it work?

Thanks in advance.

You have to adjust the safety notch, when compress the tip of the safety is not clearing the trigger shoe. You will have to file this notch alittle. So when the safety is compress it will clear the trigger shoe.

Hielo

char923 is giving good advice. I assume you can't pull the trigger at all with the grip safety depressed (indicates need to remove material at the notch only). Or perhaps can't get the safety to pivot (could be too long as well)??

The protruding tab with the notch in it has to be fitted to the trigger bow. To see the amount to be removed, disassemble the lower and put in just the trigger and grip safety. Now you should be able to see the relationship of the parts and estimate how much material must be removed. Go slow and be careful - too much removal and the safety will just be window dressing (won't work at all).

Mikey

Back