Bear

I've never really heard of such, because bait hunting is really based on times the bears are found to be hitting the station, but I do have theory.

It may have to do with the warmer part of the day being causing the scent of the bait to disperse more efficiently on warm thermals.

Black bear come to bait in low light conditions and at night. Most bear hunters feel they have a better chance of reaching their stand undetected with the help of some daylight. If you wait until it is light enough to see in the morning, you're too late. If you go out with a flashlight, you are liable to spook the bear while he's on the bait. This will insure that the bear only comes back at night, or not at all.
During midday, the bear could be laid up within a couple of hundred yards of your bait site, so you still need to use caution, but he's probably not right on the bait.

Unfortunately, hunting bears over bait is illegal in NC, so I obviously don't know what I'm talking about. This guy seems to, though:

Do-it-yourself Black Bear Baiting & Hunting

It is also illegal to bait bear in Washington state. They have really gone up in numbers since they did this some years back. I still never see them during hunting season though. Only when its not. Clever little turds.

They are pretty slick, ain't they? There's a gameland area across the sound from me that has quite a few bears. I'll see them during bow season and regular deer season. As soon as bear season opens, though, they are out of there. Makes me wonder if they have calenders.:D
You are allowed to run dogs on this gameland for bear but not for deer. I think as soon as they hear the dogs they head for the next door federal wildlife management area, which is a sanctuary. Maybe they can read maps, too.
I got my bear many years ago. I really don't have much desire to kill another one. Some of my best memories of hunting are bear sightings. Just having them around here makes hunting better.
One evening, while sitting in a treestand, I watched one chase an otter around the oak grove I was in. I'll never forget it.
A few years ago, about 20 miles from here, a women hit one with her car that weighed 850lbs. If I got one that size in the crosshairs I imagine that my desire would be "rekindled".

Back