Be very afraid/Paladin case

Jffal

Obviously, if the criminals were all rounded up,they had not been following the manual that allegedly provided the instruction on killing. Additionally, most hired hitman cases that sadly do succeed and those that do not(and often come to the attention of the authorities), books rarely are fingered as the culprit. Greed, lack of morals, hate, etc, are the main cause. People have been getting others to do their dirty work before literacy was invented.

With this case as a precedent as well as the stink about controversial online sites, we who post in the different forums and usenet groups should take note. Alot of the postings contain vented emotion, experience with gear and "tools", less than complimentary opinions directed against The Powers that Be and calls to action. People who would want to sue first, especially those who have been in some manner victimized by vile but penniless criminals, will want payback. Yes, these forums emphasize reasonable behavior and warn of the consequences of even lawful behavior, but there may be some people out there who could one day blame us as individuals or groups because a monster surfed through here and "learned about tactics". As the article below notes - "If you disseminate information with the intent to assist criminals, you can be held legally accountable."

Thus, information, not motivation and actions, are stigmatized.

Perhaps we should start focusing on those politicians, misinformed human service workers and attornies whose actions permit serial criminals to continue their activities after a slap on the wrist sentence. These individuals are, by depriving us of our rights and insuring that scum are spilled back into society, definately aiding and abiding criminal activity.
Jeff

Boulder publisher ends 'hit' manual
By The Denver Post
Staff and Wire Reports
May 22 - The Boulder publisher of a "hit-man'' manual agreed Friday to a multimilliondollar settlement with relatives of three people murdered in Maryland by a contract killer who allegedly relied upon the book.
As part of the settlement in Baltimore, Paladin Press also will stop selling "Hit Man: A Technical Manual for Independent Contractors.''
Paladin, which had planned to use the First Amendment as part of its defense, had received the support of numerous media organizations, and no lawsuit blaming an act of violence on a book had ever succeeded.
But several scholars and lawyers suggested that finding a sympathetic jury would have been difficult in the wake of the Columbine High School shootings.
Lawyers for Paladin said the decision to settle the federal civil case was made by the company's insurance carrier, which could not be reached for comment.
"I was prepared to try it,'' said Tom Kelley, a Denver media attorney who was co-counsel for Paladin. "However, Paladin's insurance carrier felt it was prudent to settle out of court.''
Kelley said he felt the company would have won the case if it had been tried.
The plaintiffs in the case, Kelley said, would have had to prove the publisher "intended to aid and abet criminal conduct,'' which he said Paladin did not.
"We were feeling reasonably comfortable that jurors could distinguish this case from Columbine,'' he said.
Publisher Peder C. Lund could not be reached.
According to both sides, Lund agreed to pay the families an amount described only as "millions'' of dollars, as well as to make contributions to two charities chosen by the plaintiffs and to turn over to them the remaining 700 copies of the book.
The breezy, 130-page book, written by an unidentified woman, includes descriptions of how to pick locks, how to torture someone into giving information, how to use various methods to kill someone, and how to dispose of a body.
"We accomplished what we set out to accomplish,'' said Howard L. Siegel, the attorney for the relatives, who live in Silver Spring, Md. "We are not interested in censorship. We are interested in sending a message that the legal system is now ready to hold anyone responsible and accountable when they deliberately set out to assist criminals.''
But Wendy S. Myers, president of the Society of Professional Journalists, said the outcome "will have a long-term, negative effect on the First Amendment, especially when it applies to books and Web sites.''
The lawsuit, which had been scheduled to go to trial Monday in U.S. District Court in Greenbelt, Md., stemmed from the 1993 slayings of Mildred Horn; her son, Trevor, 8; and the boy's nurse, Janice Saunders. Horn and Saunders were shot in the head at Mildred Horn's home. Trevor, a quadriplegic, died after his breathing tube was disconnected.
Lawrence T. Horn, Trevor's father and Mildred's ex-husband, received a sentence of life in prison in 1996 after he was found guilty of hiring James Edward Perry, a Detroit man, to carry out the slayings.
At Perry's trial, Montgomery County prosecutors introduced evidence that Perry had purchased "Hit Man'' and argued that he followed about two dozen of its tips, such as using a silencer and making the crime look as if it were a burglary gone bad.
Vivian Rice, a sister of Mildred Horn, and Michael Saunders, husband of Janice, joined by other relatives, alleged in their suit that the book "aided and abetted'' Perry, and that Paladin had marketed some of its books, including "Hit Man,'' to criminals and potential lawbreakers.
"I believe in the First Amendment; I support it,'' Rice said. "I just believe that these manuals should not be there when they serve as recipes for people to do things that are not right.''

[This message has been edited by Jffal (edited May 23, 1999).]

Interesting post. I remember hearing something about this awhile back.

I'm sure the family has suffered a great loss, and I do not wish to distract from that. I just hope this does not set precedent for things to come. I fear it may.

Jon...

It didn't set a precedent for anything.

For starters, I don't condemn Paladin, they simply look for as many "out there" titles as possible. Sometimes it's absolute gold, sometimes it's total crap (as in, anything written by "Ashida Kim").

But...the "Hit Man" book was about as wild as it gets. Certainly a LOT edgier than anything I've seen on ANY online forum with the possible exception of talk.politics.guns.

If they go filt-tilt boogie after John Ross, THEN I'll panic. As is, chalk this mess up to "everybody involved displayed an amazing degree of stupidity".

Jim March

Well, nobody told them they couldn't print such garbage, and that's good...

But lawsuits can kill a company whatever they are suposedly allowed to do constitutionally. Maybe that's good.

Larry P.

Futo Inu,

In response to your request I am posting this here.

If we begin to place blame, as do others who blame guns and their availability, on objects that are the symptoms of what we see the real cause to be, we lower ourselves and compromise our principles. To me this is not acceptable, and would only erode our own position.

Keep to the truth. It may not be popular, but it will win out in the end.

Sincerely,

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

www.countdown9199.com

Well, in a sense I think Futo's concept does make some sense....short of calling for laws and regulations, I do think other contributing factors should be pointed out, loudly and often.
There was a blurb on the news yesterday...in the last 3 yrs, primetime TV violence has gone up 36% and sexual content has increased 44%....I forgot the % increase for profanity and "ill-chosen" language, but it was higher than the others. I hear words on TV almost everyday, that I only heard from my parents when they were angry. I'm not a prude, but I have to say everytime I do a double take and think.."They can't say that,...oh yeah they can now". I happen to like NYPD Blue, but it does have the filthiest language on a regular basis. Again, I'm merely pointing it out.

I think we know why the entertainment industry is so strident and vocal about blaming guns...if they have to address themselves, then that means a lot of lost revenue. As well, the Liberals and social engineers always view things as a single entity causative....wake up dudes, nothing but nothing that involves humans is a single variable.
One final point...I think kids today have a lot more social frustration and pressure than we did....normal kid antics and goofing off (that we did)is nearly untolerated and results in counseling and "good think" discussions and very often the law

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Back