BE-86 .357 Mag Velocities Comparison

George1957

I recently started using 7.3 grs. of BE-86 for my mid range .357 mag loads under a Sierra 158 gr. JSP. They average just a tad over 1000 FPS from a 4" GP100 but for a reason I can't put my finger on they just feel lighter than that. I'd appreciate hearing from others if you happen to load this approximate recipe and the velocity you are getting. Thanks.

Welcome to TFL!

I load 7.2gn under a 158 plated SWC. For some time, it has been my de-tuned range shooter. Through a 4" 686, they chronograph at 1058 f/s. Recoil is modest; but, certainly more than a 38+P.

A lot of subjective terms being used here, but from where I'm standing, it seems like something may not be quite right on your end. (Or maybe not.)

Thanks for the welcome and info. It was exactly what I sought. Nothing seemingly is amiss on my end. You use .1 gr. less, a plated bullet of the same weight, from the same length barrel and getting the approx. velocity I do. Plated often will do a touch more velocity for the same charge.

7.2gr BE-86, 158gr coated rnfp gives me right at 1100 fps at the muzzle. This is from a 6.5" Blackhawk. Really starting to like this powder. Picking more up tomorrow before its gone.

RifleTom, thank you as well. FWIW, if either of you do .45 Colt, I use 7.8 grs. of BE-86 under a coated cast 250 gr. RNFP. It does right at 850 FPS from a 7 1/2" pre warning Blackhawk and is accurate for me.

George, I've run 7.5gr BE-86 in my .45 Colt[Uberti/Taylors] with 250gr coated rnfp bullet with pretty good accuracy. This powder is sorta a sleeper. Good stuff indeed.

Back