BB Gun Training and the Shotgun

Gary H

Bob Brister in "Shotgunning, The Art and the Science" strongly suggested learning two eyed shooting via the BB gun in the backyard.

I was really surprised to find that many of these shotguns have an LOP of 13 1/2 to 14". I picked one with an LOP of 12 1/2" and both my wife and I have been shooting at a swinging Coke can. I noticed that both of us showed a major improvement with practice. I'm thinking that this improvement is very positive. Now, the gun is closer to fitting Amy than myself, but that was the plan. The BB gun has made me more confident in shooting with my right eye. Also, it is great to just head out to the backyard rather than trucking down to the range. It has been fun. Never had one of these in my youth.

Just be warned that these things like to come right back at you and were hitting me at a range of about 30'+.

Re: Two eyed shooting.

Could you elaborate on this a bit please?
What I'm interested in is if it's possible to become proficiant with a shotgun without using two eyes? ( I have a feeling the answer is going to be a resounding no. :( ) Not expert or even close, but passable.

The answer is a halfhearted yes, instead of a resounding no, RAE.

I'm a one eyed shooter and I do OK. IMO, it's easier to learn when you use two, but not everyone can do it.

The Army had a program of Instinct Shooting in the early '60s it involved plastic discs and a Daisy BB gun. Very effective at teaching hitting moving targets. :D

The program BigG's talking about was named "Quick Kill" (later renamed by Daisy to "Quick Skill"), and it taught recruits how to shoot "instinctively", with their brand-new M16s. They could be taught to hit targets as small as a quarter tossed in the air in front of them, but it didn't translate well into riflery; if anything, it might have contributed to the "spray and pray" phenomenon.

Tyro:

No BB gun is like a shotgun. They are feather light. You can go down to Walmart and pickup one with a Length of Pull of 14" - 14.5" as measured from the front of the trigger to the back center of the recoil pad.

these aren't steel BB's but...

they are really accurate guns! I was thinking of getting one. The AEG's are the motorized guns/rifles, and they do have Shotguns as well. They're Japan's answer to paintball. man, do these guns look real... I guess that's why England is starting to have problems with the handguns.

edited to add that while these look nice, some rival the cost of a shotgun! I guess if you want a sig 550, though, this is a reasonable alternate.

For the shotguns:

http://www.dentrinity.com/shop/shotgun.htm

For the rifles, and assault rifles, like the FAMAS, Sig 550, P90,
etc...

http://www.dentrinity.com/shop/AEG.htm

Gary H,

The difference in weight is the very reason I'm interested in the BB gun for practice: I am currently impaired by medical/surgical problems and complications which make it risky for me to handle my 8 & 9 pound 870's. A BB gun could enable me to practice during the time I am not able to handle the heavy guns.

Back in the 60's a friend of mine who's dad was a doctor (Who else had the money) was sent to a shooting school somewhere and when he came back he had a BB rifle with no sights..He could hit coin size flying objects all the time and hit asprin tablets most of the time....Dick

Back