Bauer goes BANG . . . but . . .

Prof Young

For the followers of my Bauer pistol saga . . . today we had success . . . sort of . . .

On the advice of others who know a good deal more about this than I, I figured out how to, with the slide removed from the gun, get an empty shell locked into the extractor as it would be when then gun is loaded. Then I could clearly see that the firing pin was hanging up on the extractor. A little Dremel work with a grinder and a polish and I'm hopeful.

Take it to the range today and . . . YES! First mag I get four shots and two fail to feed. Second mag all six run through the gun no sweat. These first two mags were ball ammo. I load up some hollow points . . . and they won't even chamber. Ah well. Will work on that later. Load up the mag with ball ammo (Blazer) and have a good time seeing what a crappy shot I am with such a little gun.

Then about 30 rounds in . . . the mag release breaks in half. Not the part of it that I had fixed, but it comes off right below the holes for the pin that keeps it in. But . . .

I know where to get a new mag release.

Any thoughts on getting the hollow points to feed is welcome.

Life is good. Stay Healthy.

Prof Young

Prof Young, I’ve been following the saga, and am with you in spirit! I have a Bauer myself but have much less patience than you. I love the little gun, but I’ve surrendered it to a range gun since I’ve not been able to get it to run even a magazine without a FTF or FTE. I’ve replaced every spring in the gun and mag, cleaned-polished, and lubed it all throughout. I’m hoping you can succeed!

Just my thoughts on hollow points in a .25acp for EDC: with all respect, why bother? Velocity on handguns .32 caliber and smaller doesn’t produce reliable expansion on HP’s, and penetration suffers if you do get expansion. When I carry .32 caliber or smaller, I use FMJ ammo for penetration. They’re just poking holes and won’t likely over penetrate.

Will never be a carry gun.

CC - I'm with you. I'd not carry this Bauer for SD ever. Even if it ran flawlessly. I've got a kel-tech in 380 that is not much bigger, and it's easy to carry my sig 365 as well. The Bauer is a range toy. Cute and fun to shoot. My range guns kind of get cycled-through. I get something, new or used, that looks fun to shoot. Shoot it a while and then sell it off so I can buy something else.

In the mean time, I've ordered a "plastic" mag latch from Precision Small Arms. Had a fun e-mail exchange with Lenn, the PSA guy. Seems like a nice chap.

Life is good.
Prof Young

P.S. The reason I have hallow point ammo for it is . . . I reload and hollow point bullets were the only thing I could find when I first bullet shopped for the gun.

Back