Basketball Diaries

HS

This is the movie that gave the little bastards the idea for the recent Dallas shooting.

Watching it may give you an insight into what "triggered"? their M.O.

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

I don't see how this could have an effect like that. It was a funny movie - nothing distorted or promoting violent retribusion... What part could have sparked them off? The Carpet Laying schtick?

------------------
SICK AND TIRED OF...

The irony is that, if anything, the movie only shows how futile and destructive open rebellion can be.

As for its psychological profiling value, perhaps I'm not seeing it, but they probably got hung up on the scene where Leo dreams about busting into the classroom with a shotgun blazing. Now, if you ask me, it didn't actually give them any ideas. If you listened to the interviews, they already felt that way. They just watched it because it was their way of playing out their fantasy without actually moving up to the next level.

Here's the bottom line: The media doesn't cause psychosis. The media only shapes the resulting form. So no need to crucify the Basketball Diaries. To do so is like killing the messanger.

[This message has been edited by SB (edited April 25, 1999).]

MGM or whichever company put Basketball Diaries out is asking the video distributors to return their stock.

Wonder if the offending scene will be snipped from a future edition and the movie will be sent back out. Thanks to publicity, the company would reap mucho dinero.

I have not seen BD. It was "implicated" in at least one earlier school shooting. The notorious scene is supposed to be but a few minutes, if even that and a fantasy sequence to boot.
Jeff

Back