Basic Safety Course.............

Bob Wright

Years ago I was a certified firearms instructor by the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, though haven't kept that current in many years. I have had occasion to teach many folks over the years. One of my first classes of instruction was to display as many types of firearms as I could, handguns, rifles, and shotguns. Shotguns were the most likely to be handled by my students as they were involved in Hunter Safety too at the time.

I stressed the point that they should be familiar with all types of actions and how to be certain each was to be cleared. At the time even had one of those old Winchester shotguns where the barrel was knurled near the muzzle for opening the breech.

I stressed the point that if a man didn't know how to clear a gun, to leave it alone. And if one was to be around guns, of any type, he should be able to ascertain that it was indeed clear.

Since childhood this has been my practice, and on two occasions that I recall familiarity with the gun prevented any mishap. Even today, every time I pick up my own gun that has been out of my possession or sight for any time, I clear it. Been a good practice.

Bob Wright

Agreed, absolutely.
I have two friends who know guns and who have shot their own furniture thinking their own handguns were unloaded. I have another friend, not so accustomed to guns, who came close to shooting his own foot handling one of my handguns without checking to see whether it was loaded. No one injured, other than pride, in any of those cases.
I credit these three friends with helping me remember gun safety in general. I think about them every time I pick up a gun. I clear it and otherwise handle it with their experiences in mind.

I am certified to teach the NRA Home Firearm Safety course and that is a major emphasis of the class. It is all about how to handle guns safely and unload/clear them. Bringing the widest variety of types as examples is critical.

I was at the LGS with my son a few years ago. I asked to see a gun and the counter guy cleared it before handing it to me. I immediately cleared it also. When my son asked me why, I explained that this exchange does two things. # 1 is that it serves as a double-check that the gun is really clear. #2 is that it reassures both of us that we know what we're doing.

I concur. Part of my CCW and private instruction is showing/teaching folks how to load/unload magazines revolver cylinders and how to load/unload both types of the guns safely.

Clear and visually check the chamber

I am a Certified Hunter Safety instructor and during our classroom session, I teach the four basic gun handling rules/guidelines. On the part of "all guns are loaded", I ask a bunch of questions and then show them the importance of indexing and clearing a firearm. I go through the clearing process and then ask them if it's still loaded. Most say no but some see that it might be a trick question. I then mention that the last step in clearing, is "visually" checking the chamber at which time, I notice a round, left in the chamber and pick it out and let it drop on the table. ..... ;)

I have a modified dummy round that the extractor will not pull out. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Safe gun handling procedures-or any safety procedures-must be practiced until they are second nature, instinctive, automatic.

Safe gun handling never goes out of style. For example, my EDC gun becomes my night stand gun at night. After showering and getting dressed in the morning, I do a chamber check and a mag check to make sure the gun is as it was placed the night before.

Anytime anyone of my guns has been out of sight such as in my safe, I do a chamber check and a mag check to ascertain its condition...loaded or unloaded.

The very first rule of gun safety is treat every gun as if it were loaded. Strictly adhere to this rule and it will help prevent negligence.

I stressed the point that if a man didn't know how to clear a gun, to leave it alone.

Something we always stressed when teaching Hunter Safety also, and not just to men. One point I have always felt needs to be stressed to children of all ages, both by their parents and the school system. If you don't know how to make it safe, don't touch it.

Back