Barrett Arms 98B/MRAD, impressive to say the least.

Kimio

Reading about the 98B and the latest iteration of this rifle has been interesting.

It's one of those rifles that I feel I may never be graced with the privalage of shooting let alone owning. .338 Lapua is quite a pocket burner.

So, those of us who have the exceptionally deep pockets to own let alone feed one of these rifles, what were your impressions of the rifle. Barrett has a reputation of making some fine precision fire arms, and I stumbled across this while browsing around youtube in which they demonstrated it's take down and so on.

I like the idea of it coming to the market possibly in .308, which is a much more practical cartridge in terms of affordability, at least for me it would (Though a 6k price point is steep as it is)

Just curious, I'm young and still have many years/decades to dream of being able to handle one of these and if luck graces me, maybe, just maybe be able to afford one some day.

It truly is a lovely rifle to say the least

411536994.jpg

I was just reading up on this particular Barrett because I was bored and the only PC game I really play is Battlefield 3 (a great game for those of you into guns, the most realistic and fun game to get into if you don't want to fiddle and frustrate yourself with the learning curve of some other shooters out there) and this particular bolt gun is one of the unlockables. I read that one of the sons in the company is trying to bring this rifle back, as after it was debuted at the SHOT show in '09 and was featured in American Rifleman in '10 I believe, there was very little interest in this rifle. At it's current price tag of $4500, I'm not so surprised. With our armed forces using more of the .338 and the word getting back out to us, we may see a piqued interest in this rifle again and hopefully it's cartridge. I myself have starry eyes over the Lapua, but I can hardly feed the guns I own now and they are all standardized calibers for the most part.

Don't know anyone brave enough myself to own one of these!!

Actually I play BF3 as well, which I know this sounds bad, but is where I learned about this rifle.

I read up on it, watched some videos and I've been infatuated with it ever since.

The MRAD is apparently able to switch calibers, Barrett has yet to release any conversions for it yet, but if/when they do, the .308 will be among the list for conversions.

That right there is an exciting thought, the problem is, at 6k for the rifle alone, it's pretty freaking far out of my budget, a good 8x optic if I recall can run well in the 1k+ range.

I'd love to own one of these, I really would, but at roughly $50 per 20 rounds on the cheap end (From AIM surplus) I simply cannot afford to feed this beast, I can barely feed my M91/30 and AR15 as it is.

I'd be content with just being able to fire a few rounds off out of one (well...maybe not knowing me, it would make me want it more lol) it certainly has that exotic feel to it. Doubt you'll find many at the range, and it sure would an interesting topic starter amongst other gun enthusiast.

I'm pretty sure that this was built up from the get-go as a Lapua rifle. I am not privy to many of the actual specifications of the cartridge, but it being a long action bolt action chamber, not conducive to a .308 re-work. If you are going to pay this kind of money, I would maybe look into an Accuracy International type chassis system (they also build rifles), however, I don't think they manufacture with the Lapua in mind. I saw an extensive review on a brand new Sig Sauer straight pull bolt at right around the same price. It was not favorable. Apparently, video game fodder is just what it is. Nobody is using these overseas. They are using the same old Remy's that have been predispositioned for long action .338 which, it seems, all military knew was coming.

True, I try not to get my facts mixed up and do my research, way too many kids out there that think games = real life as far as firearms are concerned.

It hasn't been adopted as you stated, though it is certainly an interesting rifle. I've looked at AI' rifles as well, another rifle that is well outside of my price range sadly.

I will say it's more shooter friendly in terms of ammunition, the .308 round is much easier to come by than the .338 Lapua or so it seems (I've yet to find a supplier that carries a good variety of the round, nor do I really expect to)

Like I said, I'll probably never be able to afford one, but it would be cool to be at least able to fire one.

Back