Barrels for 870

Dave44

I have recently purchased an 870HD and I'm looking to buy
possibly 2 barrels for this. I'd like a rifled slug barrel and also a filed barrel with interchangeable chokes. There is a gun show in town this weekend and I'd like to know some $$$ so I dont get taken. any info would be appreciated thanks---Dave

You can buy brand-new Mossberg-made barrels for the Remington 870 for under a hundred bucks...hope that helps you gage and dicker at the gun show

I thought I sent you Cabela's e-mail address. Maybe not. You might check Mossberg's web site. They list their 870 barrels.

Dave, congrats on your purchase. All the aftermarket bbls I've seen have been made by either Mossberg or Remington, no difference in quality nor performance, TTBOMK.

Used field bbls with VR and Remchokes can be found on occasion. More common, older fixed choke bbls turn up,oft much cheaper. Pairing a Modifed Choke bbl with that open choked short bbl(Fine for quail,grouse,and surprisingly good for Sporting Clays and Skeet) covers almost all wingshooting. Not up on prices, but I surmise a near new bbl can be had for under $125.

Or, send that riot bbl in to a good smith and have it set up for tubes, and have the forcing cone lengthened. My all around 870, AKA Frankenstein, had this done. A 20" bbled 870 has the same overall length as a double with 28" bbls.

As for a slug bbl, same prices. I suggest a Remchoked bbl here, a rifled tube for the season, and a open choke for the rest of the year while it doubles as a HD tool.

HTH....

If you can't find anything at the gun show, try B&M Specialties at 317.291.6558. I've bought some cheap 870 barrels NIB from them in the past.

Back