Barrell Fouling

Jeffly

I am having a hard time getting the fouling out of the barrell of a pistol. I have used a brush as well as jb paste and about 4 packs of patshes. They all come out black looking. Is this copper or lead. I have shot both, more copper. Thanks for any suggestions in getting this out. T main part of the barrel is clean but the first one quarter of an inch is real stuborn.

With JB. all the paches will look black. Even after the barrel is clean. If you can see carbon,lead,or copper you can try some IOSSO. Works good on lead and copper, but like jb all paches will still come out black.
KurtIA

Hi, guys,

There is no reason a patch should come out black if the barrel is really clean. Black patches usually mean lead. Greenish patches after use of an ammonia cleaner mean copper. Keep scrubbing!

Jim

To remove the lead from a badly fouled bore try this. Get an undersize bore brush for the caliber you are cleaning. Wrap the bore brush with a brillo type copper cleaning pad found in most kitchens. Make sure the pad is 100% copper. Make sure you have a tight fit in the bore then move it back and forth until the lead is removed. This is best done with a dry bore. After removing the lead then go ahead with your normal cleaning routine.

Jim K. Kurt Ia. is correct. All patches used with JB Bore paste do come out black. I tried the stuff on a new barrel that had not been fired, or even installed on a rifle yet, and the patches do come out black. I think it is from the paste polishing the barrel steel.
Paul B.

The patches also come out black when I use a brush and then run some clear oil through. I can see the black in the first 1/8 of an inch of the forcing cone.

I use a system consisting of an expanding rubber plug on a cleaning rod that is then covered with a round brass screen that fastens to the plug at the junction with the cleaning rod and some Hoppe's to de-lead my 686. I forgot what it's called, but it's a REAL time saver and also gets the forcing cone clean.

Back