barrel with offset bore ???

MRS had the western channel on TV this weekend, & I came in from outside working for a break, the Virginian was on, & it was a color version, & the guest Actress had the the most beautiful aqua blue eyes... was looking for a picture of her today, trying to figure out who she was... in my search I ran across this picture...

I think it was from the Virginian... wondered what the gun was... anyone see enough to guess ???

attachment.php

Attachments

• leemarvin.jpg
    leemarvin.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 434
It's a non-functional, (fantasy) suppressor on a revolver that wouldn't work even if it were a real suppressor. It's offset because it was cheaper to make the holes in the cap there than to find a way to raise the sights on the revolver.

thanks for the replies guys... ya... picture just came up with a group... couldn't see the gun well enough in the picture, & no idea where it came from...

thanks for the link, but nothing there...

4thPoint said:
It's a non-functional, (fantasy) suppressor on a revolver that wouldn't work even if it were a real suppressor. It's offset because it was cheaper to make the holes in the cap there than to find a way to raise the sights on the revolver.
The original Maxim Silencer had an offset bore like that:

maxim_22_silencer_ad.jpg

Here's what it looked like from the business end, which is pretty similar to the movie prop silencer:

maxim-silencer-business-end.jpg

As for suppressing a revolver, it might make a little bit of a difference in the overall sound, but probably not much; too much gas escapes from the cylinder/barrel gap. In addition, traditional silencer designs produce back-pressure, so I would think it might actually sound louder to the shooter because of the back-pressure pushing more gas back through the cylinder/barrel gap.

Most of the successful silenced revolver designs I've seen use a mechanism that closes the cylinder/barrel gap in some way, like the Nagant revolver. But you get a very heavy DA trigger pull as a result. I've also seen pictures of silenced revolvers with shrouds over the gap, but I don't know how well they worked.

Obviously Lee Marvin . . . and . . . ahhhh . . . I don't think wrist watches were worn in westerns that took place in the time of the Virginian.

Most Maxim silencers were made that way, including the ones purchased by the U.S. Army for the Model 1903 rifle.

It seems that every time someone mentions revolvers and suppressors in the same sentence, someone has to bring up the Russian Nagant revolver. But has anyone actually seen, or seen an actual picture of, a Nagant being used with a suppressor? The only pictures I have seen of Russian suppressors have shown them used with auto pistols.

Jim

robhof

Actually the CIA ordered a group of Dan Wessons from the Monson plant that were modified to take supressors, they were 357's and were to be used with jacketed bullets only, the cylinder gap was set at .0015" and the cylinders were trued to .0002". There was one on display at a spec ops weapons display that I was lucky enough to attend when active duty back in the 70's.

James K said:
It seems that every time someone mentions revolvers and suppressors in the same sentence, someone has to bring up the Russian Nagant revolver.
Ha, I'm usually guilty of that. But to be fair, I started bringing it up because whenever I would point out how a suppressor won't really work on a revolver, someone else would always bring up the Nagant revolver. So now I just do it pre-emptively ;).

James K said:
But has anyone actually seen, or seen an actual picture of, a Nagant being used with a suppressor?
I saw a video on YouTube of someone shooting one with a modern silencer (I think it was an Octane 9). I didn't watch the video that both AK103K and Venom1956 linked, but I'm assuming it's the same one.

Some of the conversion kits for the Glocks have an offset bore. The 40 to 9mm I think. In this case the offset is side to side and not top to bottom.

As for suppressing a revolver, it might make a little bit of a difference in the overall sound, but probably not much; too much gas escapes from the cylinder/barrel gap.
Everyone always says this. Prove it.

If you think the cylinder gap is big, you should see the monster hole that goes all the way through the silencer and out the far end. Clearly, this isn't close to a sealed system.

This kind of thing gets repeated so often that it has become excepted as true, even though the cylinder gap is less area than the difference between a .32 and .380.

Silencers are don't trap the gas, they just muffle a percentage of it. If cylinder gaps leaked so badly, revolvers would be terribly inefficient.

The best suppressed guns use tiny, low pressure cartridges, because that big hole at the end of the can is what really matters.

Back