Barrel Twist-rate Question

dgludwig

I have a Browning 1885 Low Wall rifle chambered in .223. From what I can tell with the rotation of my cleaning rod, the barrel seems to have a 1:12" twist. Does this sound right? Thanks.

Yep, the relatively slow, 1:12~1:14 is "traditional"... sort of. Kinda old style compared to more modern 1:7, 8, 9 twists... but then again, there weren't too many heavy bullets in .223 not all that many years ago.
Doubtful you will have much success using a longer/heavier bullet than 55/60 gr, as it may not stabilize, but you can easily go down to 40 gr.

Cheers,
C

Thanks, Creeper. I've got an AR-15 with a 1:8 twist and a Mini-14 with (I think) a 1:9 twist for those heavier .223 bullets.

I love the look of a low wall target rifle with a external adj. Unertl. Below is a Roger Ferrell collaboration for the American Custom Gunmakers Guild... a real stunner. :D

rs_speical-hornet-rifle_a.jpg

rs_speical-hornet-rifle_c.jpg

Cheers,
C

I love single shot rifles... just something about them that exudes style, class and the romance of days gone by.
Ruger #1s, the various Martini actions, Lechners, Stevens 44 1/2 reproductions, Ballards, Dakota Arms and the rare Ed Yost. All beautiful, all special.

remingtondakota10op.png

C

Rem seven to Savage

Riflemen:
I had a Rem 7 chambered in 223 that had a one in twelve twist. I was still a newbie when I loaded some 68grain bullets and they tumbled. Couldn't figure out what was wrong for a while. Thought I'd increase my accuracy with a heavier bullet but made it worse instead.

Well, I sold the Rem 7 and bought a Savage with a one in nine twist. It's a tack driver with everything I 've fed it. 50 grain bullets on up to 68.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

All of the M16's of the 60's were a 1:12 twist, they were made for the 55gr bullet. If you push the 62's fast they will stabilize as well.

The Winchester low walls were very slow twist, my 22 wcf is something like 1:24 if I remember right.

Back