Barrel twist for 260 Rem

Thibault

Hi!
I'm currently shopping for a short & lightweight left-handed bolt action in 260 rem or 7mm08... The only option I seem to have is a Savage 11 SA... :( I know they're fairly good, but shopping without options is a drag!
Anyway, the problem that tickles me has something to do with the barrel twist rate... Savage has a 1:10 twist, while Remington has something around 1:9 1/4 and the famous swedish Mausers have 1:8...
Since I plan to shoot around 140 grainers, will the 1:10 twist be too slow and hurt accuracy? I don't expect .5" at 100 yards, but if I shoot onto something, I expect the bullet to go where it's supposed to!
Thanks for info or comment!

Thibault:
I would think this is a "marrying" situation. By testing different mfg's or reloads, one can determine which load or mfg ammo is the best for what you want. I would further surmize the groups better than 5" at a hundred are possible using this method.

I do agree, Thanks for your input, I've got a '06 that can't shoot Federal 165 gr. ammo but loves 180 gr. Win premium. My point was that with such a slow twist, I would not want to have a gun that woud only shoot properly a shorty bullet like a 120 gr...
Have a nice day! :)

Back