Barrel Touchup

TrueBlue711

Just took off a pinned muzzle brake on one of my guns, but there is a indent on the barrel where the pin used to be at. What would be the best "coating", paint or bluing to put on it to cover up the exposed bare metal in that area?

Use the board search function to look up past threads on cold blues. You'll get more and better information that way than waiting for it all to be repeated. Personally, I would rust blue it. You can look that up, too.

Degrease and then when dry, cold blue with a clean cotton Q-Tip. Never re-dip the used Q-Tip into your bottle. Flip it and use the fresh side.

Not one person has asked what finish is on the gun!
If the gun is blued, you might try cold bluing the spot.
If the gun is painted, paint might be a good option.
Parkerized- paint or bluing-depending on which matches better.
You could even put paint on a blued gun,but I would think matching the existing finish would be preferable.

Well cold blue it and it will still be a slot across the barrel? Why not have the barrel cut just past it and re-crown? Just a though!

Black sharpie.

Works as well as anything.

"Not one person has asked what finish is on the gun!"

Pinned on muzzle break usually narrows it down to phosphate or nitride. What does sound odd is why the OP is worried about the "indent" when that's usually within the threaded area. So maybe there's more to the story.

Last edited:
I'm operating on the assumption that the finish is rubbed off or never made it onto the metal there, and he is looking for corrosion protection as will as to reduce the contrast. I did not recommend most cold blues as I've seen a number of them actually encourage rust. I can't spot my photo just now, but I applied a wide variety of them to music wire rods one time and rinsed them and left them un-oiled to sit around the house for a month in summer when humidity is higher than in winter and after a month, all but two had after-rust. One very badly. That happens if you don't get the acid base chemically neutralized or boil it in distilled water as you would for rust bluing, then apply water displacing oil. The rust blue I mentioned will largely prevent rust if it is kept oiled and it is more durable than any cold blues, but you do have to go to some bother to put it on. Oxpho blue and Van's are the only two cold blues that didn't encourage after-rust in my experiment. That's because they are phosphoric acid-based and the coating they produce is like micro-phospating—much thinner than proper arms phosphatizing, like Parkerizing, but still tending to discourage rust. The color is not really blue, though, and not very dark. More like charcoal grey.

If he is looking for a true color match, though, and not just corrosion resistance and partial camouflage of the bare metal, then he's got a more severe set of constraints. The best option for a true match is usually going to be returning the part to the maker for refinishing.

There's no way for me to explain it besides a picture. The pin I removed is on the threads, which isn't the problem. The muzzle brake was covering up the indent on the left (see pic), which is exposed metal. Not sure why it's there, but every FS2000 barrel has it.
I ended up just dabbing some cold blue on it and it works just fine. I just wanted it protected and matching black color. I saw some comments say cold blue has a risk for rust, but I'll take the risk. I live in a very dry climate. Thanks everybody!

Attachments

• underbarrel.jpg
    underbarrel.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 27
Back