Barrel nut & the future of barrel installation

BumbleBug

I've noticed that all of newer bolt actions "bargain" rifles have a barrel nut attaching the barrel to the receiver. I'm sure this is done because it is cheaper. I don't own any of this type, but I've read that DIY guys can even change the barrel on a Savage in their garage without too much sweat.

• Could this be the future for bolt action rifles, even the high-end models?
  • Are there any advantages to this type of fitting over conventional besides being cheap?
  • Are any of these types of rifles showing up at serious target matches?

...bug :confused:

If one is good with rebarreling tools and has them, buying a pre chambered one is easy to install with a barrel nut. As long as the receiver face is squared up right.

But I don't think there will be many breaking group records. Not for a while, anyway.

Yes, and the "future", is now...
Ummm....not sure what you're calling "cheap".... ALL Savages use a barrel nut system- not just the entry level rifles. Team USA/Savage also won the F-Class World Championship in 2009 with stock rifles, to answer your third question:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2009/08/savage-f-tr-team-world-beaters-on-a-budget/

There are other high-end rifles with switch-barrel systems (other than a barrel nut) as well- and pro and hobbyist smiths alike have done numerous projects adapting other receivers to barrel nut installations.

Advantages have nothing to do with being "cheap" outside the entry level guns where it's simply faster-less labor intensive- to headspace a barrel by doing it without a lathe.

Premium $500 barrels installed on a Savage or Remington (Remage barrels) action with a barrel nut are no less accurate than those headspaced with a lathe and reamer by a gunsmith.

The advantage is we can do it ourselves in less than a half-hour with a receiver and barrel nut wrench, go gauge, and barrel vise. No gunsmith fees or months long wait required.

GunShow1988Sav110223with4Xbushbannerscope2402-23-2013-2.jpg

Sav110223250neckLWCMbarrelBoydsTacticalstockSSSrecoillug9-29-2013.jpg

Savage11022335grVmax13grBlueDot100yardsfirstgroupfromnewbarrel59-18-2013.jpg

I have re barrelled ~ 3 dozen rifles for myself, but only one barrel nut Savage rifle.

I bought an old Sav 223 in 2013, took it to the range, took it to Montana and shot a prairie dog or two with it.

I cut a shoulder on the barrel blank that butts up against the receiver, so I am not using a barrel nut.

Here is what it cost me [it was a low budget custom rifle]

$240 1972 Savage 110 .223 gun show 2013
$109 Boyd's tactic kool stock
$114 Lothar Walther .224" 14" twist CM barrel blank bought on sale in 2002
$26 SSS recoil lug
$11 paint
$67 cheek rest Karsten's Custom Cheek Rest A-Model
$55 tactical bolt handle
--------------------------
$622

Bart B is correct I'm not setting any records but I am having a lot of fun. Took a 30-06 and rebarreled it to a 338-06. All that was required was a new barrel, barrel nut wrench, Go-Gauge, tape and a barrel vise (I made my own). With a little load development and it shoots MOA or better at 200 yards which is a darn fine hunting rifle. Best of all, when the barrel is shot out I can simply replace the barrel with tools on hand. I might even change to a different cal all together.

Thanks for the responses.

I'm understanding this barrel-nut a bit better. The way Clark installed the barrel shows that the action can be used for a conventional re-barrel.

The only advantage I can see is that you could actually adjust the head space to match your reloading die's output.

...bug

The only advantage I can see is that you could actually adjust the head space to match your reloading die's output

Headspace is set off a go-gauge, or fireformed brass. Unless you've got custom dies, based on a custom reamer and chamber- your reloading dies are going to be SAAMI spec. Using fireformed brass from the chamber to set the headspace keeps the amount you're working the brass when FL sizing to a minimum.

But you seem to be missing the real point, which is being able to change barrels and chamberings in minutes. One stock and action can serve multiple purposes, and in the case of throat-burners in particular, being able to re-barrel yourself is a huge plus.

nut fastened bbls.

There's no reason that I'm aware of that would cause the bbl. nut system to be any less inherently accurate if done by a competent gunsmith.

At least of my two shooting buddies at range have converted Remington 700 actions to the so called Rem-nut type system to ease future barrel swaps.

Also, a number of us, myself included, have changed out the barrels on our Savages/Stevens.....easy to do with correct tools.

Obviously it works,and the bbl change advantages that have been discussed.
Without trying to say anything is "better" or "best" (I do not claim to know)

Think about this.Imagine the barrel as the Eiffel tower.With the old "shoulder against a square receiver face" system,the receiver face is the foundation.The tenon threads are loaded as a drawbar,pulling the barrel tight to the foundation.The receiver face is solid.

Now with a barrel nut,the foundation is the back face of the nut against the receiver or recoil lug plate,but then the interface actually holding the barrel is a thread mesh.

I'm not saying that is bad,apparrently it is quite successful.

My old school innards tell me one foundation is on granite and the other on bentonite.Tuning fork versus cracked baseball bat. But,who'd a thunk plastic pistol frames would be good?
Hard to argue when something works.

Back