barrel modification

NY978

Inactive
I own several shotguns and was recently given a Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel. I was considering cutting 8" off the barrel and using it as my HD gun (along w/ my .357). What considerations do I have to keep in mind when chopping the barrel? Any help would be appreciated. Also, the minimum length in my state is 18". Should I cut it down to 18" or 20" like I had planned. Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erick:
However, if you want to cross into Canada with your shotgun, the barrel must be at least 20".[/quote]

Were you turned back with a gun under 20"? As a matter of fact in some specific cases, the laws on shotgun barrels in Canada are less restrictive than in the United States (as hard as that may be to believe).

For pump guns, overall length determines legality. Therefore, a 14" pump gun is quite legal providing it is a factory item. Cutting a barrel to a length under 18" is not legal. The 14" 870 is pretty popular up here among action shooters and deer hunters.

(re : Canadian laws)
"For pump guns, overall length determines legality. Therefore, a 14" pump gun is quite legal providing it is a factory item. Cutting a barrel to a length under 18" is not legal. The 14" 870 is pretty popular up here among action shooters and deer hunters."

You learn something new every day (well nearly every day) at TFL. Thanks for the info PJR.

------------------
- Ron V.

Back