Barrel made by RCBS

bluetopper

I'm looking at an old vintage single shot rifle with a barrel made by RCBS. I didn't know RCBS made rifle barrels in the past. Does anyone know when they stopped making rifle barrels?

OH Boy, that would be a piece of history. RCBS was founded by a man named Fred Huntington in 1943. My guess is that was one of his personal rifles made in the 40s or 50s.

I never heard of RCBS making barrels. They made bullet swaging dies, originally, and later expanded into reloading dies and equipment.

Could be one of Fred's personal rifles, or possibly marked with RCBS because it was company property.

What caliber is it??

If it was marked RCBS like the dies I would say it was associated with the reloading company some way but that looks like someone else had a company for barrels or gunsmithing with similar markings. R.C.B.S.C.O might stand for Rusty's Cobalt Blue Steel Company..... R.C.B.S.C.O.

No telling how they decided to mark a barrel in the late 40's or 50's. Maybe just like that.

Last edited:
This is one gun mystery I would love someone to explain but sadly all of the people who could likely tell us what you have are dead! Back in the 90s there were still a lot of the WWII and Korea generation left but now they are rather rare. Even the Vietnam vets are dwindling in numbers as they reach their 70s and 80s.

I have a Rem. rifle that is chambered in .243 RCBS. It is actually a Hart barrel and the chamber work was done by the RCBS gunsmith shop and not the reloading supply company.

Back