Barrel Length

JLK

I have ben looking at Varmit rifles. Remington has a tactical rifle with a 20 Inch berrel . How much distance and accuracy would you loose with a short barrel in a 223 or a 308.

In the Remington line-up, for varmints, I think I would go for something like the Model 700 VLS (Varmint Laminated Stock). I think it is still in their catalog. Mine in .308 is excellent, but a bit much for varmints. I also had one in .22-250, a great varmint cartridge, but traded it away some time back. You won't necessarily sacrifice that much in accuracy or velocity, but I don't think the tactical type rifle is best for varmints, unless you are a walking kind of varmit blaster. The VLS, with heavy barrel and dense laminated stock has better weight for varmint shooting from a rest, and you have a choice of great varmint cartridges. There are similar choices in other brand lines, of course.

With the 223, almost nothing in velocity. You will lose no more than 100 fps in the 308 over a 24" barrel. Probably closer to 50 fps.

The 20" barrel in either will work just fine for shooting at reasonable ranges. if you want to shoot at 700+ yards the extra speed will help at long range.

Accuracy will not be effected, if anything shorter barrels are theoretically more accurate.

McShooty has a good point about carryability. I'd prefer something on the lighter side, others want a heavier gun. That is why they offer both versions.

How much distance and accuracy would you loose with a short barrel in a 223 or a 308.

Contrary to popular belief, a shorter barrel does not directly effect accuracy (it has more to do with velocity) You should run some searches on the internet or read up on it. In some cases shorter barrels can be more accurate due to the reduced vibrations.

Back