Barrel Length Question

• Thread starter Thread starter DeakonG
  • Start date Start date
D

DeakonG

It looks like a .357 is in my future...

OK...(bracing for shock)...

What does everyone here think is a better choice in barrel length???...4" or 6"...also, as a side note...which frame size???

Uses will be limited to range stuff (no, I'm not a bullseye expert, however I do like to pretend every once in a while)and for open carrying when hiking and camping out in the desert...price wise, I can't afford much over $400...if I could, believe me, I'd be doing my damndest to get my hands on a S&W .45 ACP...

please...let the advice begin...

G

[Edited by DeakonG on 05-24-2001 at 03:24 PM]

For all around general purpose use, concealed carry, plinking/target, home protection, etc., it's really hard to beat the 4".

As for the gun, if you scout around gunshows, you should easily find many new and used guns.

A couple of choices for you on the used market:

Smith & Wesson, 13, 19, 65, 66.

Ruger, GP-100, Security Six, Speed Six.

In the new market, you should be able to find guns by Rossi, Taurus, and Ruger all under $400.

Of those three, my choice would be Ruger first, Taurus 2nd, and Rossi 3rd.

Mike...

assuming absolutely no chance for CCW still go 4"???...I was under the impression that the .357 was at its best outta a 6"...

G

Yeah, I'd still go 4".

You really don't lose that much with a 4".

You also generally get better balance and handling with a 4".

I LIKE BIG!

I'd go with the 6"...but then again, my favorite open carry piece is a 586 with an 8 3/8" barrel.

4" S&W Model 19 or the Ruger Security Six. See if any police turn-ins are still available in your area, or order one from KY Imports.
GP100's and 686's are just heavy enough to be a drag when out hiking; same for 6" barrels. Shoot mostly 38 Special's at the range, with just enough Magnums to zero your sights for carry while hiking and a Model 19 will last a long time and be pleasant to shoot.

As far as the barrel lengths are concerned on S&W revolvers, I'm a old-time fan of 6- and 6 1/2-inch barrels. But I'd say that the best all-around barrel length is 3 inches on J frames, 4 inches on K and L frames, and 5 inches (when available; otherwise 4 inch) on N-frames.

My $0.02.

At the risk of contradicting my friends Sam and Mike, I suggest a four-inch barrel Ruger GP-100 (the KGP-141 model). You can easily buy a new-in-box one (www.gunbroker.com is one source) for <$350. The KGP-141 is rock solid, reliable, durable and accurate. It will last lifetimes. In addition, this model is all stainless (with Ruger's special stainless steel alloy) and has an adjustable rear sight. It offers:
> Unlimited versatility (target, self-defense, competition, trail, hunting, you name it)
> Widest variety loads (both .38 Special and .357 magnum rounds)
> Real value (how can you go wrong with a top-rated, NEW GP-100 for <$350)

I likes mine big toooo..... :)

I have the Ruger GP-100 in 6" and love it to death. The trigger takes some time to get used to, and might need a trigger job for some people, but otehr than that, a great .357MAG shooter.

Own two 4" GP's; plenty of velocity available, able to hunt/CARRY CONCEALED/plink/compete with both, perfect choice.

Suggest looking for a used Dan Wesson Model 15 in .357 Mag, (715 if you prefer stainless), and just change out to the length barrel you prefer whenever the fancy strikes you. Barrels are available from 2 through 10 inches by 2 inch increments. Frame size on a Model 15 is similar to a S&W "L" frame. Used Dans will run around $250. Extra barrels may be purchased directly from the factory, http://www.danwesson.com.
Take Care

Another vote for the 4" GP100

There's a thread here on these guns with some info you'll want:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=67737

Upshot: the GP100 is possibly the smallest frame size that can take the real "wild child" loads. The original .357 recipe in an N-Frame called for a 158grain load doing better than 1,500fps - by modern standards, that's on the low end of .44Mag power levels. Cor-Bon sells hunting-grade .357s using 180 and 200grain loads developing 640ft/lbs each, doing 1265fps and 1200fps respectively. This stuff can defend against black bear, hunt boar and do other sorts of "wilderness survival tasks" and the GP100 may be the smallest gun that can practically deal with this sort of load.

Yet by staying with .357 versus a hotter caliber, you retain the full spectrum of lesser-power loads. Target .38 match wadcutters are great for game the size of large rabbits, you've got shotshells available for smaller stuff, many of the hotter heavier personal defense loads work good for deer, basically the flexibility is awesome for 48-state work. A bit light for Grizzly, but still not impossible :).

Jim

Got to go with the S&W 686 seven shot with four inch barrel.
Good looking, very nice trigger, and very accurate. What more could you ask for? Sling Shot

Yep...GP here I come...

Jim...nice thread...I forgot to look...I think it's quite a complement to Ruger to contrast the strength of their mid-frame to the strength of a S&W large frame...I still can't even image the overall strength of the .357 Redhawk...I kinda wish Ruger would bring it back...at least till after I buy one... :rolleyes: ...thanks for the replies guys...

G

I love my 4" GP100, but if you're only looking to get ONE 357 I think I'd go with the Dan Wesson. Very strong, extremely accurate and you can have whatever barrel length you want from I belive 2.5" up to 10".

For the conditions you describe I would go with a 6 inch bbl. The longer sight radius helps accuracy during target shooting. The classic bullseye target shooting guns are the Colt Python and Smith K14, both with 6 inch bbls. Shooting them with .38 wadcutters makes them very controllable.

In your second case, open carry in the desert or while camping, again a 6 inch bbl is the way to go because of the longer sight radius and the more efficient usage of the .357 cartridge. The .357 performs like it was designed to in a 6 inch bbl. Time to try out those extra long shots in the desert.

On the offside, the longer bbl adds a couple of ounces of weight. Most of us could stand to lose a couple of pounds around the waist so a few ounces of gun weight shouldn't matter.

Bullseye shooting is something that many people ignore, much to their detriment. They don't practice the basic fundamentals of sight alignment, sight picture, trigger and breath control. Some people are so used to 2 handed shooting that they don't have the strength to finish a bullseye match one handed. Its amazing to see how weak some young men are. Some can't hit targets at distances greater than 7 yd.

An acquaintance of mine, a retired NY Port Authority LEO, got involved in a gunfight with 2 BG's who had just robbed a liquor store on 10th Ave in NYC. He took them both out with his 6 shooter without reloading. Believe it was a 5 in. bbl. Measured distance was 25 yd. He was a competitive bullseye shooter who religiously practiced the fundamentals.

The used market should be a source of some very good revolvers that are affordable.

Good luck in whatever choice you make.

S&W 686 in 4"

I would go with the round butt S&W 686 in 4". Later 686's are RB with a rubber Hogue square appearing grip. If you can find any of the 3", (a small special run), they are the best for carry, yet still are accurate. I have a 2.5" which can easily shoot 2" at 25 yards from a rest and will do small paperplate size groups standing offhand at 40 yards.

If you can find one, (still smarting for delaying) the 686 4" .357 7-shot Mountain Gun with light profile barrel is a sweet, sweet combo. Just be advised that the thinner barrels do not fit tightly into a holster without a thumb break or strap. I discovered this in my .44 Mountain Gun. This is the perfect field carry gun.

I would just prefer NOT to trade the smooth S&W factory trigger for the heavy GP100.

Back