Barrel length/performance 20" v 22"

gmarr

Need some help here. Am looking to get a Ruger M77 in .257 Roberts. The question is what kind of performance difference is there between a 20" and 22" barrel? Shooting distance should be under 200 yards. Stand shooting at deer and hogs. Any help will be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Not as much diff as with higher pressure cartridges(depending on powder used). I own and hunt with a 20" barreled .257R that delivers a solid 2850 FPS with 100 grain bullets. My handloads use IMR 4895 which seems to alleviate the big fireball some other powders produce.

If you have a known velocity and cut a barrel back by 2" expect 30-50 fps less with the shorter barrel. The difference will vary depending on the load. Generally heavier bullets need more barrel and you'll see a greater difference. With lighter bullets less difference.

If you have 2 different guns with any equal length barrels expect 25-100 fps difference with the same loads even though the barrels are the same.

With 2 different guns the 20" barrel could be 150 fps slower; or 50 fps faster than the 22" gun. The differences between individual guns is a far greater factor than 2" of barrel makes.

When you start comparing 20" vs 26" then you will start seeing meaningful differences.

I'm a benchrest shooter, 308 caliber. Remington 700 20" heavy M24 5R barrel. Just love shooting it very accurate. Rangers in my area are 200 yards max. That's the distance I shoot. Wouldn't think of a longer barrel. More things going on with a longer barrel , causing issues with accuracy.

I think a rule of thumb is if the velocity of the cartridge is between 2500 fps and 3000 fps (all other things being equal) the velocity loss from 24 to 22" is 25 fps per inch or 50 fps. Can't remember where that's from so take it for what it's worth. Faster powders will lose less, slower powders more

There is a handling difference, shorter is better and a noise difference, long is better. Things like this are not all so clear cut and more/less is not always better. Either 20 or 22 are IMHO good lengths. It is the 18 and 26 of the world that need a good reason.

Back