Barrel length and velocity info?

prib

Inactive
Where can I find information on exactly how barrel length affects muzzle velocity for common calibers? I know the general trend, but It would be nice to know the velocity of .(your favorite caliber) in 2", 3", 4", 5", and 6" barrels. 4" seems to be the most common test length for ammo manufacturers.

------------------

I haven't browsed to see if any of the gun mags are online, but every now and then there will be an article about velocity loss with barrel shortening. They'll start with the longest barrel commonly available for some revolver, and take a hacksaw to it, one inch at a time.

I have seen some manufacturer's data, comparing their various sizes of pistols as to muzzle velocity, usually in an ad...

You might try the NRA site.

Good luck, Art

I don't know of any comprehensive list, but a few years ago Dick Medcalf (Shooting Times) did an article on this topic.

He used a Dan Wesson in .357, and checked several barrels from 2" to 10". If memory serves me, the average velocity loss was around 100 fps per inch of barrel.

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

I do not have any magazines or reloading manuals (yet). It seems silly that I can find information online about how long it takes goats to fall over after being shot, but I cannot seem to find tables of barrel length vs velocity. Do reloading manuals have this information?

Back