Barrel length and accuracy

ursus

I am looking to purchase a Remington 700 PSS in .308 with a 26inch barrel. They also offer a shortened version, 20 inch, called the Tactical. I am getting differing views on accuracy in relation to the length. Example, the longer barrel is more influenced by harmonics and vibration. The shorter is there by stiffer and less influenced by heat.
Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Any difference in accuracy could easily be coped with by tweaking with the bedding. Heat should affect them equally.

The notable difference would be the (roughly) 200 foot per second loss of velocity with the shorter barrel.

I have a T/C Encore with a Bullberry 16.25" heavy barrel (1.150" OD). It is chambered in 22-250 IMPROVED. With fireforming loads and no load testing I got 5/16" groups several times. I believe there is truth to the short barrel theory. Seems to me the only thing you will give up with a short barrel is the extra velocity.

I think there is something to the theory (seen too many short thick barrels shoot well) but I suspect that if you can tell the difference, your shooting benchrest, not practical shooting,

I have shot 6 PSS Remingtons and 5 have shot very well. The 6th would not shoot under an inch with .308 Match, but would with 150 Hornady. Go figure..

Some were extremely accurate - probably the best chance for an out-of-the-box sub-MOA factory rifle.

Two things that we found to help - replace the cheap trigger guard with a steel one and torque the screws to 65 INCH pounds. The other is get a decent trigger. A good smith can fix the factory ones, or get a Timney.

Giz

------------------
"Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies..." LG, RIP

Back