Barrel lenght (the all around shotgun)

length of barrel

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nah, because the "pump-shotgun-is-the-do-it-all-gun-because-I-can-use-47-different-barrels crowd will spout about that:D

Since the previous poll about best all around purpose is indefinite, I go for 30" - best fore birds, best for targets, better balance and swing than short barrels.

(And right NOW). I'm at 100% - WOO-HOO!

I don't remember seeing one about all around bore size though......

Primarily hunting with the possibility of clays and SD on a pump or auto-loader I'd want a 26" barrel. Make it 28" on a double.

If you lean more towards SD and less toward hunting or clays subtract 2". If clays are your primary game with SD never a concern then add 2-4".

The extreme lengths both long and short can be pressed into use, but are meant more for specific roles.

For an all-around field gun that could be used for anything from clays to buckshot for deer, the 26-28" will do.

I have a few barrels hanging on the wall..........

Barrel length has a lot to do with how the shooter shoots the shotgun.

I prefer shorter barrels, for a quicker swing. However, for hunting and patterning purposes, shorter barrels tend to pattern high. Often I'll compensate for this with a Hi-Viz type bead sight.

Semi-auto: Russian Baikal MP-153 w/ 24" barrel, for waterfowl.
Pump: Mossberg 500 Turkey Special w/ 20" barrel, for coyote & turkey.

Bowhunter57

Barrel length has nothing to do with shooting high........gun fit does..........short barrels swing fast.....and stop just as fast resulting in a miss from behind on moving targets. Using a gun like a rifle for coyotes or turkeys is one thing, but a HiViz isn't necessary for moving targets as you should be looking at your target, not the sights.

For me an all-around, do-everything, only-one-for-the-rest-of-my-life shotgun would have to have a 20" barrel threaded for chokes and preferably with a vent rib.

Short enough to swing around in the house for HD or carry for SD outside the home. And with the interchangeable chokes it would be atleast somewhat decent at taking birds and other game.

Sure a 20" barrel doesn't swing all that well for hunting, but after a while you get used to it.
I can dust clays just fine with an 18" barrel. And it's a cylinder bore.

Back