barrel lapping

javadog60

Inactive
I have a Ruger Lc9s that I have shot about 6 or 700 rounds through. All lead, some with alox and some powder coated. I clean the barrel after every shoot using chore boy. I seem to have very little leading but the barrel still looks rough. It just doesn't shine like my Beretta 96 or Glock 27. I know the barrel is alloy but sure looks like it would shine up better. I was just wondering about hand lapping - if it would help or hurt. Any thoughts?

Well, its my primary EDC and I would feel a little better if the accuracy was improved. I know I am not the greatest shot, but i shoot everything better than I shoot the Lc9s.

Maybe it is a lead thing. My LC9 shoots as accurate as any center fire handgun I've ever had. I don't enjoy shooting it but it performs. That said, I use only jacketed ammo. Maybe that's the varible

I wouldn't think that 6-700 rounds of lead ammo would do any damage to the barrel or even the surface of the barrel, you just need to clean it better. Lead will actually cause less wear to the barrel since it is softer and doesn't require as much force (less friction) to push down the rifled tube. I would say try to get ahold of a steel cleaning brush, hoppes sells a 3 part cleaning brush kit in all calibers that contains a standard copper Coates bronze brush, a steel tornado type brush, and a cotton squeegee type brush. I am sure the steel brush is not as hard of metal as your barrel and should clean it is good as possible without any damage. Try some bore cleaning gel or similar as I have found bore gel type of cleaners to be much more effective at cleaning barrels than standard hoppes number 9 or general gun cleaning solvents. I have had good look with steel brushes in conjunction with bronze and nylon brushes. Switch them around and do a soaked and dry patch in between each type of brush. I have noticed the bronze type brushes wear out very quickly and once they start to feel a tad bit loose they aren't worth a darn anymore. The nylon brushes remain tight but don't of the scrubbing power of the metal brushes

Also the accuracy problem is probably due to a slightly dirty barrel but could be you just aren't perfectly matched to the grip and trigger of the lc9. Being a pocket 9mm, it is not going to be nearly as easy to shoot as a a larger gun with a larger grip, longer sight plane and lower recoil. The gun mechanically will shoot very accurately you just have to have perfect fundamentals and muscle memory to get this accuracy out of the weapon

I like to shoot only jacketed bullets that has less chance of lead build up in the rifling. I also use Ballistol for cleaning and lubricating. If you don't have a copper or brass brush, you could use a 9mm snake for cleaning. I would not recommend leaving oil in the barrel unless you are storing it away for a while.

Last edited:
I say leave it alone.
Maybe try other brands or weights ammo until you find one that shoot well in your LC9.

Yes, leave it alone. It's a carry pistol, not a target pistol. If the bad guy is far enough away that you need sights, you're probably better off not to shoot.

Hoppes #9 solvent and soak it down. Let it set 15 minutes and hit it again then brush it out. Repeat until is comes clean. Switch to poly coated bullets - same performance and almost as cheap.

I know the barrel is alloy but sure looks like it would shine up better. I was just wondering about hand lapping - if it would help or hurt.
The barrel is steel. I'm not aware of anyone making barrels out of anything but steel. There are some companies that make barrels with a steel core and an outer cladding material, but the part that makes contact with the bullets is always steel.

Lapping the bore of a sub-compact locked breech handgun will have just about zilch effect on accuracy. It might make it foul a little less and might make it easier to clean, but there are other factors that affect the accuracy of a locked breech handgun far more than any possible effect that lapping could have. The fact that it's a small handgun makes it even less likely that the smoothness of the bore would make a noticeable difference in accuracy.

If you want to shine the bore then go ahead. I don't think it will hurt anything as long as you don't screw anything up in the process--make sure that you don't let the cleaning rod touch the muzzle portion of the barrel. But I would be tremendously surprised if there were any noticeable effect on accuracy.

javadog60 said:
Well, its my primary EDC and I would feel a little better if the accuracy was improved. I know I am not the greatest shot, but i shoot everything better than I shoot the Lc9s.
Accuracy problems with handguns like that are almost always due to the shooter and how he shoots the gun, not the inherent accuracy of the gun. If you're currently shooting your LC9S to its maximum accuracy potential, then you're a professional-level shooter and you should be shooting in competitions.

Even if lapping the barrel will increase the mechanical accuracy (and it probably won't), the problem is you and how you shoot the gun, not the gun's accuracy potential.

First,I have zero experience with an LC 9.Its possible I'll make some incorrect assumptions.
I assume the barrel has a blue or oxide finish.The whole barrel goes in the tank,they don't "mask" the bore.
Lead bullets aren't going to wear that off very quick.But I would not ,myself,work to accelerate the "wearing off"

To a point,it matters how soft the lead is.And,if you have found some kind of lead factory loads,or lead bullets from major bullet manufacturers,they are typically smeary dead soft lead.And they do lead.

I have fired a lot of wheelweight full power loads through a Ruger Super Blackhawk.They were higher velocity and pressure than you were likely using,with no leading problems.And it was never a a lapped/polished bore.

I'll tell you what will affect both accuracy and leading with cast bullets.Bullet fit.Particularly,undersize bullets.
Unless you slugged your barrel,found out your groove dia,and are shooting bullets sized about .001 oversize,you may have a problem.Undersize bullets are a problem.
To start with,the 9 mm bullets have a short cylindrical bearing diameter.Undersize bullets tip,and never get pointed straight.

Another problem,undersize bullets do not seal the bore.This lets hot,high pressure gas jet past them.It melts the lead,and this is commonly the root cause of leading.

I won't say fire lapping never helps a barrel.I have done it to advantage.

But I do it when I figure I have an otherwise hopeless case ,with nothing to lose.

Myself,I would not use the steel brushes.To each his own.

There are some pretty good solvents.Look for one good for lead.Strong copper solvents eat bronze brushes.Maybe lead,not so much.
Once you get it clean,try some jacketed bullets for accuracy.

Lead bullets can be wonderfully accurate,but they have to fit.

I recently fired about 20rds of lead swc ammo through my .45 1911. First lead bullets I have ever fired out of it. These were Magtech 200gr lead SWC bullets at 950fps, I noticed a definite increase in accuracy/grouping size, but when I was cleaning my barrel afterward, there was a lot of lead in there. Especially for only 20rds. It took me approximately 2x the amount of time to clean the barrel (fired about 120rds total) , compared to shooting about 2-300 fmj bullets. Those lead bullets must not have fit my barrel well or where too soft or too hard. Also I noticed that my bronze and nylon brushes just would not get all of the lead out, but when I started using my steel tornado style brush, it was really busting that lead up,

I doubt if lapping will make any noticeable difference in accuracy in your LC9. You'd be better off spending that time practicing with it. Try some jacketed ammo, it may give you the better accuracy you desire while polishing the barrel at the same time. My son's LCPs shot lead for crap and it was hard to find a load they liked, but when we found one, it was exceptionally accurate outta the little lightweight. Rough bores are quite common on entry level SD firearms. For the most part, it's makes little or no difference in accuracy at SD distances.

What kind of accuracy are you expecting from that little pocket gun? It is not going to shoot MOA at 100 yards no matter how much you clean or lap.

Jim

Save your time and money. Accuracy isn't necessarily about shiny and even ugly pitted bores can shoot straight. Crowning is more important.

If you are gonna shoot lead, then a smooth bore promotes accuracy in most instances.

As one poster has already mentioned, the cast bullets have to be oversized to the bore to shoot well and not lead the barrel.

It is possible that the lead bullets you shot out of your 45 ACP don't fit (aka too small).

I shoot almost 100% cast bullets in all my handguns. I have no problem with leading. I size the bullets to 0.001" to 0.002" over the groove diameter.

Also, I am not a fan of "hard cast" bullets. I feel that they perform much better that way. I cast them anywhere from a BHN 8 to BHN 12, depending on what they are for.

Back