Barrel lapping ?s

B Shipley

I just got an Enfield and notice a tiny high spot about 2 inches from the muzzle in the land and adjacent groove of an otherwise excellent bore.

My first question is how would this affect the accuracy (I just shot the gun today, but this was under less than ideal conditions and the peep sights take getting used to)?

Second, would lapping the barrel remove the high spot, or would it wear the barrel down unacceptibly to achieve this end? Other suggestions welcome.

Last, is it really worth it for a cheap rifle?

The high spot may or may not affect the accuracy. Lapping may help slightly but more due to the smothing of the barrel. If you tried just lapping out the high spot you would most likely open up the bore on either side of the spot.
I guess the real question is how much accuracy do you want or expect from a surplus rifle. Shoot the rifle and see what kind of groups you get before doing anything. If the accuracy is poor than you can buy another barrel and have it put on the action or sell the rifle to someone who just wants the rifle for the action and buy another rifle.
If you are not interested in keeping the rifle original, you could have an aftermarket barrel put on. I bought a new barrel with the same contour as the original from Gun Parts Corp. for about $100. and barreled it up on a friends action and it shot 2" groups at 100 yds. with no other changes. Good Shooting, John K

------------------
NRA MEMBER? GREAT, NOW JOIN GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA

Back