Barrel interchangeability?

BoogieMan

Im getting ready to do a barrel change on a FN mauser action. I dont want to spend hundreds on a barrel blank so I am considering some of the new takeoffs that I see on eBay. I dont have the experience to know if there is enough meat left on Rem 700 or Win 70 barrel to remachine it to fit a FN Mauser,1.1"-12. Unfortunately I dont have the chance to handle eBay barrels prior to purchase. I have also found a few blanks at reasonable prices without contour.

Thanks for the info. It looks like I would have to cut off an 1"+- from the chamber then turn and re-thread prior to cutting the chamber. The question is if there is enough straight section in the contour.
As far as eBay is concerned, they probably are engaged in anti programs but so are many other companies who sell firearm and hunting related items. For now they sell items that I use at good discounts.

There is nothing wrong with used/new takeoff barrels. Some of the worst barrels I ever ordered for a customer were new "Deals". If it is a cut rifled barrel , it is shot in. As you have now, there are problems that you have to figure out before you buy one.

I would not buy a take off barrel unless I can examine it, know its history and know why it was taken off. If you don't know those things, pass.

Jim

Back