Barrel inspection

Bore scopes are best but ???

Definitely not the best but it works for me. I use a bore light at the breech and magnifying glass at the muzzle and looking down the bore. I can vary the focal point for a short distance by raising and lowering the glass. I can check and sharpness of the rifling at the crown. If there are any dings or problems, I can pick them out fairly well. ;)

Be Safe !!!

Clean the bore first. Then run a really snug, dry patch through and check for tight/loose areas. Look in the bore after sending that patch and see if there are any snagged fibers--this would have to be a really rough or damaged bore. Pitted areas should be evident in a dry, clean bore. Look for rings or bulges or bends.

Crown damage.
Isn't a barrels crown located at the end of a barrel? I would think a simple flashlight could make that inspection of the last inch of rifling below the crown. Have seen a couple nasty worn out crowns on turn of the century lever rifles. Never on a bolt gun~~yet.

Not following...
You don't need a borescope to look at crown damage?
If you're concerned about burrs, run a Q-Tip around the perimeter of the crown/bore intersection and see if it snags any fibers.

Scratching my head

Me too, it's pretty darn easy to inspect the crown w/o anything more than a magnifying glass.

Not what is said but how it's said !!!

Isn't a barrels crown located at the end of a barrel?
Sure is; the muzzle end. ..... ;)

You don't need a borescope to look at crown damage?
I'm sure the OP did not mean a collimator or sighting bore scope. More than likely talking about and industrial bore-scope much like what is used during a colonoscopy. ...... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

More than likely talking about and industrial bore-scope much like what is used during a colonoscopy. ......
I don't know about industrial bore scopes and colonoscopies. The last industrial bore scope I used was 20" in diameter and 48" long. Colonoscopy? No, thank you! :eek:

And yes, I realize they come in small, medium, large, etc.

Most bore scopes look DOWN the tube. Rifle bore scopes look AT THE RIFLING. Two different things.

And you don't use a bore scope to check the crown. You can look right at it.

Last edited:
They come in all sizes, almost ??

I don't know about industrial bore scopes and colonoscopies. The last industrial bore scope I used was 20" in diameter and 48" long. Colonoscopy? No, thanks you!
Obviously not, as the one we used at work was 1/2" diameter and they make even smaller ones, that I won't spend the money on. ..... ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJXqL6rQJpA

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Lyman makes on for rifles. I think mine cost all of $160, special sale.

Well worth it, small enough for a 22, takes pictures if you want to send them.

Very nice setup, works perfectly for anyone who want to see how their cleaning is working (don't get it unless you are willing to go with Carbon Killer 2000!)

I have never used a Hawkey, but if I had a gun shop this would be all I would need.

Locate a set of Gae pins and determine from SAAMI spec, to ID the sizethat will ride the landssurface after being placaed in the chamber leade, then slowly push towards the muzzle, if not passing the use next smaller size untl drops from muzzle.

Back