Barrel imperfections

Romulus

Originally posted by me in the shotgun forum, but this forum may be more appropriate:

"I recently discovered, while cleaning my lovely Ithaca, some odd looking raised bumps inside the barrel on the breech side. I then realized that these are the manufacturer's stampings going through the thickness of the barrel. Any idea on whether these shoud be polished out?"

If yes, what's the best way to go about it? I am concerned about inherent weakness in the barrel if overpunched by the manufacturer...

While somebody here might know, I think that if it were my gun, I'd do some Web searching for folks who specialize in shotguns. I'd phone two or three for comparative answers.

Damfino,

Art

Before polishing/honing, I would probably find someone with a hydraulic dent raiser to swage them out at least part way. That will preserve more metal in the area of the stamping.

BBBBill, that strikes me as sound advice. In fact my chief concern is removal of metal where it's already been punched thin...

I think I'll call the folks at Ithaca...

I am not sure what your concern is. It sounds like pure appearances, as you don't indicate that patterns are affected or that there is excess leading. So my feeling is that you are making a big deal over nothing. I would forget about it.

Sounds like the folks at Ithaca just wanted to make sure the name was really on there.

Jim

Alas, I shot it only once, the day I bought it, but in all truth I don't know how to check the pattern on a shotgun. I'll post that as a help topic in the shotgun forum.

I bought it because I wanted the legendary model '37, and the then "new" '87 was available in M&P from the reorganized Ithaca Acquisition. My 870 has been doing home protection duty instead - how does IT pattern? hmmmm...

how embarasking

Thanks for all your replies, gents.

Back