Barrel ID ?

Oliver Sudden

I’m working with a rebarreled Sharps and wondered if anyone can say anything about the rifling of differant makers to ID this one. It’s a 45 with eight lands and grooves the grooves being wider then the lands. The twist in this one is 1 in 18 and seems to be of good quality. Not an off the shelf type as it’s a 34” octagon that is 1.600 across the flats.

Not sure what you are asking... Who specifically made the barrel?

Keep in mind I'm NOT a historian, I work on these rifles, both original & reproductions, I can only tell you what I've seen.

Is this an original Sharps, one of the makers that owned Sharps name through the years, one of the military knock-offs, Shiloh Sharps or something else?

1:18" is the tightest twist I've ever seen in an original Sharps.
It's also the tightest twist I've seen in Shiloh Sharps reproductions.
Original Sharps usually had 1:20" in .45, 1:18 showed up a bunch more in .40 caliber than .45 caliber.

The 34" barrel isn't common in original rifles (Quigley Movie Reproductions are common in .45-70), combine that with 1:18" twist rate and I'd say it's a reproduction, the most common being Shiloh Sharps.
Did you find any stamps on the barrel? Caliber? Proof marks?
A makers mark is common right in front of the threads, often on the direct bottom.

This is a replica with a modern barrel. What I’m hoping to find out is does some barrel maker use an identifiable style of rifling. I know for example that original Sharps had six lands and the grooves were shallow. I have a Douglas barrel in forty caliber that has eight grooves but I wonder what pattern Badger and others used. There are no markings other then the case length of the chamber stamped on it.

You cannot ID the maker by the rifling. There should be some kind of stamp on it somewhere that will. More like should though.

Back