Barrel ID thread

vmabuck

Inactive
Since I have a lot of these to ID I thought one thread to show them all would be the best idea.

I appreciate any info on these parts I can get. I am just getting into these older Mil weapons. Any suggestions on online resources or books I could get to help me educate myself would great!

This is the first. Most of these will be for Mauser actions since the guy who had them before was heavily into sporting out Mausers.

2ev3y86.jpg

11uhhz6.jpg

2znqohc.jpg

28u6aok.jpg

given the haphazard nature of the markings and the plethora of stars and triangle marks, I am going to make a guess that they are for something of russian construct. they do not look like the barrels of mosin nagants though, possibly SVT 40s?

have to slugged one of them to see what diameter the bore is? that would go a long way toward at least guessing the caliber and narrowing down the list of suspects. for all I know it's an 11MM Murata.

Looks like a Yugo 8mm Mauser barrel, There were thousands imported here along with Model 48s and 24/47s.

I will have to go find some rounds to throw down the barrel.

I should probably just get a handful of rounds to size out these barrels. Or is there a tool I can buy that will do this?

@VMABUCK- What do you intend to do with them? Given how you came upon them I am assuming they are no longer good barrels. If your just curious what rifle they came from then you can measure the OD of the threads with caliper and get a pretty good idea.
.980 (+.005-.010") is a small ring mauser
1.100 (+.005-.010) is a large ring mauser like a 98, both would have 12 threads per inch.

As far as I am told these are all good barrels. They came from a person who was into modification of these Mauser rifles into sporting rifles. He had piles of stocks, barrels, actions, reloading equipment and tooling.

I intend to sell most of this stuff. I would like to have an idea of what I am selling though. I am a prior active duty Marine and have always been interested in these types of weapons but I have never thrown myself into the wold of it to learn.

So I am doing that now.

I will have to get a set of calipers...

OK, got calipers.

The outer ring measures 1.110

But I see now that this barrels threads are jacked. So it will be trashed. Unless there are ways to repair that. I would imagine it would not be worth the trouble...

threads

It looks like the threads in the first two pics are pretty much ruined. Even if you chase the threads they have lost much of their strength.

That last barrel is marked 7.62 and 1-80. Pretty self-explanatory. It appears it is chambered for 7.62 NATO.

Is there a general price for barrels like these that are not remarkable?

I was thinking somewhere around $75 to $100 depending. Not sure how to price these fairly though.

I cant say what your barrels are worth. Numerich lists a 7.62 mill barrel for $35, there are some on eBay for under $10. IMO $75-$100 is very optimistic.

Ya, I did scope out ebay prices and they seem to vary but I am sure that is because there are certain barrels that are just more sought after. I think I will just let these go no reserve auction style and hope for the best.

This is kind of a cool one though. Pretty sure it is Enfield 303? Not sure though, it is all in wax and has both the front and rear sight installed on it. Mint condition on this guy.

I guess the only thing to figure out if it is a carbine or not. If that makes any difference in price.

What is the measurement to determine that?

1fftzt.jpg

n157jb.jpg

2e5ibgl.jpg

2ezsif5.jpg

2re01z7.jpg

it kindof does look like a enfield barrel. does it had an inlet about 1/4" cut out of the thread area? that would be to accomadate the extractor claw if it is indeed for enfields. then again if it has a front and rear sight it would be for a number 1 series enfield and I am not as familiar with them as I am with number 4s and later.

Not a 100% on the exact ID on the Enfield. Someone already bought that one though so they knew what they were looking at.

I have another kind of interesting barrel. I believe it is an Enfield Jungle Carbine. Not sure how to ID this one and there seems to be a little damage on the threads.

5nm9dv.jpg

zoj8z6.jpg

11kf5tg.jpg

2e1afz4.jpg

I agree with Jim. Even the "flash hider" is wrong.
Can you drop or "plunk test" a .303 Brit round into the chamber?
I don't see any markings in any of the pictures. No stamped or rolled characters?

Back