Barrel-cylinder gap variation

elector

I have a question about the barrel-cylinder gap on a S&W revolver that's about a year or two old. I notice that the gap varies according to the chamber. IOW, for one chamber the gap measures .007, but for another chamber it's closer to .006. The rest of the chambers are somewhere in between.

I figure this may be a normal manufacturing variation. But I hadn't noticed it before, so I'd like to ask if it's a problem.

TIA.

I had a 629 Classic that was customized by Jack Weigand and the factory cylinder gap varied by .004 between chambers . I had him square the cylinder face before he did the barrel setback , he set my cylinder gap at .003 when he was done , I dont think I would want one that tight on a defensive weapon . I think .001 variation is fine and you are lucky to have it that close from the factory . Good luck , Mike...

Endshake

From the top of my head, the Barrel-cylinder gap should be .004-.006 on a K frame and about .003-.005 on a L frame .357. Correcting isn't difficult at all and calls for peening of the yoke (leave this to a trained armorer or gunsmith). If it's under warrantly, let Smith do the work.

Hi, elector,

It sounds like the cylinder was faced off at a slight angle. This is not an uncommon problem, but would show a little lack of QC on the part of S&W on that gun. It will do no harm other than possibly affecting accuracy. To check this, mark the chambers with stick on labels, then fire 10 rounds from each, carefully marking the position of the shots. At worst, you get six groups; at best, one good group. This is a problem that is more theoretical than real and correction may not be worth the cost or effort.

FYI, nominal gap is .006. It is surprising that you could even see that .001 difference.

Jim

Back