barrel crown hand tools

tickTalk

I have finally decided to buy some barrel crown tools. I am getting a 90 and a 45 from brownells.. along with pilot. but they use an interchangeable handle that has been out of stock for months.
Now, pacific tool and gauge has one that looks identical, but they don't give any specifics on it like the thread, they just say it is 'For use with the PTG Interchangeable Pilot Muzzle and Cylinder Chamfering Cutter only.' ptg thoughtfully has not responded to my email question on this.
of course, the brownells says something similar, though they do list the thread as 1/4-20.

so, anyone know what the thread is on the PTG handle? I swear it is the same thing as from brownells..

dunno

Email PTG & get back to us.

BTW, you also have to get pilots that fit into the crowning tool. You want a set as each barrel is different and you want to fit the tightest that still allows for the pilot to be rotated. That's how we did it at Trinidad State.

Manson uses cutter spacing to prevent chatter. The Brownell tool does not. By experiment, I discovered it was best not to use their handle, but to adapt the cutter by chucking it in a chuck with a 1/4" hex stud, then driving it with a flex shaft in an electric screwdriver. The bend in the shaft stopped it from applying too much cutting force so it didn't chatter. I used it with the 90° cutter, then used a spherical lap for the final crown angle.

I recently recrowned a barrel with the brownell's tool (I think they are permanently missing handles) and did exactly what unclenic suggested, works fine.

Back