Barrel configuration for 6.5x47L custom build

Gawp

Hi,

I'm working on my first custom rifle build. I want to chamber it for 6.5x47 Lapua and will use it for target shooting only (bench rest) at distances up to 600m (= 656 yards).

As I live in France, like always my choices of components/gun parts are limited to what is available here. Basically for barrels, I can get Lothar Walther.

They have a nice web page where you can basically configure your barrel: https://www.lothar-walther.com/cm

I spent hours Googling barrels contours and lengths, and basically, it seems the most used contours for bench rest which are available to me are (from lightest to heaviest):
The favorite one seems to be by far the M24 followed by the Heavy Palma and Heavy Varmint (C.F. this article). Because the M24 and the Heavy Palma are so similar, can I pick any of them without thinking about it?

My second question is about barrel length: should I go with 24", 26" or 28"? It seems 26" is the favorite, but I prefer to ask.

Then, the configurator allows two choices for the chamber:
  • 6.5x47 Lapua
  • 6.5x47 Lapua (minimal)
What does this "minimal" refer to? Which one should I pick?

Finally, the configurator allows to select (or not) a "Match treatment" for the barrel. Do you know what this is?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back