BARREL CLEANING WAYS?

jamescuda74

Inactive
I AM CURIOUS HOW YOU GUYS CLEAN YOUR BARRELS AFTER A SESSION AT THE RANGE.I'M SHOOTING A REMINGTON 700 IN 22-250.I'VE NOTICED THAT AFTER A RANGE SESSION THAT I HAVE COPPER BUILD UP IN THE RIFLING OF THE BORE.(@30RNDS) HOW WOULD YOU GO ABOUT CLEANING AND GO ABOUT TRYING TO PREVENT THIS?I DON'T WANT TO HURT THE BORE SO I'M RELYING ON YOUR EXPERTISE!I'VE SEARCHED FOR THIS AND CAME UP WITH NOTHING,SO ANY ADVISE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

James, our hearing isn't that bad. No need to shout. ;)

I use Birchwood-Casey Super Scrubber for heavy fouling, but not often; I don't get off on inhaling ammonia. Hoppes #9 and a good stiff bronze brush usually does just fine.

James,

Please take your Caps Lock off. Not only does it make reading your post difficult, it is considered YELLING! ;)

Thanks.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

I like using EEzox and a bore snake. No rod to damage the rifling, and they do a damn good job. Great reasons if you are as hard on a rifle as I am...

------------------
I don't CARE about pretty....I just want dangerous.

OK, here goes. I'm a Highpower shooter. A range session is 88 rounds, more if there are alibis. My cleaning procedure:

1 patch, soaked in Shooter's Choise, pushed through the barrel. Let it soak a bit.

Another soaked patch pushed through.

10 strokes with a bronze brush dripping with SC.

Another soaked patch. Let soak a bit.

Push dry patch through. No "Green" should come out.

Yes, I shoot 7.62, but my daughter's AR-15 is about the same.

Why is it this easy? First, the barrel was broken using the fire one-clean, fire two-clean... method. Second, I shoot ONLY Moly-Coated bullets.

If you want detailed breakin procedure, let me know.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

------------------
Fred J. Drumheller
NRA Life
NRA Golden Eagle

Back