Barrel Break in question????

shunt

I just purchased a Remington 700 in .308 yesterday. I'm taking it to the range Saturday. I've heard a lot of talk on AR15.com about barrel break in, but I haven't discovered any "actual procedure" for doing this. Are there any ammo types I should avoid or is there anything I should do to get the most out of my rifle?

shunt: Every shooter seems to have his own recipe for barrel break in, but it all boils down to polishing the bore to enhance accuracy, reduce lead and copper fouling and to prolong barrel life. My recipe is to shoot one round, then clean thoroughly with brush, solvent and patches. Repeat this process for the first 20 rounds. Then clean the bore with a light abrasive such as JB Compound. Then shoot two rounds and clean after each set for 20 rounds. Clean again with JB Compound. Repeat the above process shooting ten-round strings for 100 rounds. Your barrel is now "broken in." You should find that cleaning will become easier and your groups will tighten up. Just be careful with all the cleaning that you avoid contact with the muzzle crown, or all your efforts will have been wasted.

Good Luck,

Noban

Just to clear a bit up for shunt here, when Noban said avoiding contact with the muzzle...I believe he meant with the rod itself. Since your rilfe is bolt action, clean from the breech. And don't go pushing the patch/brush all the way out the muzzle end on the "down" stroke! That'll tear your crown up! Good cleaning to ya!

Hueco

shunt,

I too recently purchased a Remington 700 LTR in .308. I called the Remington Custom Shop and asked for their break-in recommendation. The rep I spoke with recommended starting with 3 round groups while avoiding heating up the barrel and cleaning after each group for the first 30 rounds, then shoot 5 shot groups without heating up the barrel until you have put a total of 100 rounds through it, cleaning after each 5 shot group. After 100 rounds you can shoot as many rounds as you feel comfortable with between cleanings. I'd say 20-25 is about the most I would put through without a cleaning and oiling. Personally, I plan to shoot no more than 10 rounds between cleanings after the first 100.

The Remington rep said he feels that shooting one round and cleaning is a little extreme. FWIW, I am following their recommendation. I am also firing the first shot of each group through an oiled barrel (Butch's Gun Oil). As is stated on Butch's site, you wouldn't start up a new motor in a car without oil, why would you fire your new rifle without oil?

After cleaning I run a patch dampened with Butch's oil through and then dry patch it once to remove any excess.

I've only found time to shoot the first group of 3 so far. I hope to get a couple more groups in next week. Can't wait to see the next group. The first group was two through one .312" hole and a called flyer about 1/2" high and 1/4 right.

I shot this group at approximately 25 yards in the back yard, lying on the ground shooting from a Harris "BR" bipod out front and my left hand at the rear for elevation. The flyer was caused by a flinch/muscle spasm in my left hand just before the shot broke.

Not bad for the first group through it, I guess.

------------------
The Glock freak formerly known as Chris...

Thank you everyone for your input. I think I can find a happy medium between the info contained in the link to Mr. McMillan's discussion and those who believe in a break-in procedure. Happy shooting.

I would be hesitant about running JB paste through a bore for break in. All you will do is round off the rifling which is not good at all and will reduce the accuracy. Shoot it as much as you like on the day you are shooting then clean it after you are done. Just don't let it lead up a lot if you arent using jacketed bullets.

Steal is inanimate and doesn't feel anything so I am not sure what letting it cool between groups has to do with anything. Its going to be shot hot someday so it should make no difference.

FWIW, I shot my AR the first time, about 60 rounds, then cleaned it later that day. The more I shoot it the more accurate it has become, and no fancy "shoot, clean, shoot, clean, etc" either. I also shot a new Thompson SMG with a new barrel on it, in 90 degree Arizona heat in the desert, over 500 rds with no cleaning or cooling off with zero problem. It was so hot a few times that it would burn flesh just touching the barrel. It looks almost new in the bore still.

Just my experiences.

------------------
Gun Toter

Ok, I just dug up Gale MacMillan's posts in the link posted above and have changed my mind on "breaking in" my new 700. As was also mentioned, I doubt I would ever see the possible minute difference since I will be practicing/shooting under tactical instead of benchrest circumstances. The gun will already shoot better than I can.

I think I'll spend my "break-in" time developing my rifle skills. Seems that this would be a much smarter use of time and ammo. Mr. Mac's comments and logic just plain make sense to me.

FWIW, I will probably still avoid putting much heat in the barrel for a while. Don't know if will be of any benefit but I don't see what it could possibly hurt.

------------------
The Glock freak formerly known as Chris...

Back