barrel break-in procedures

Dikyllis

Reminton 700PSS, .308, NIB. I intend on keeping this rifle, and want the most accuracy I can get. Who wants to share their expertise on proper barrel break in?? What's this jazz I've been hearing about "moly-coated bullets"???

It is a somewhat involved procedure that goes thus: start by pulling a solvent soaked swab through the bore (always from the breach to the muzzle). Let it sit for a minute and pull a clean dry swab through. Then pull a wet copper bore brush through about 30 times. Pull dry swab through. Repeat the bore brush and swab procedure until the swab comes out Clean. Now the barrel is ready for break in. Run one last dry swab through to make sure the barrel is clean and dry, make sure the chamber is clean also. Start with 20 clean rounds. Fire one off, clean the bore. Do this for the first 10 rounds. then put 2 groups of 3 shots through it - cleaning the bore between the groups. Finish with the remaining 4 rounds, from a well supported position and see where your at. Some marksmen recommend the Tetra gun treatment, some don't. The Marine scout I talked to recommended against moly coated projectiles.

Do a search on this subject, it was covered extensively last summer some time.

Bottom line is that it does not do much if anything for your barel, and accelerates barel wear.

My 308 PSS is more accurate than I am.

Check out Jack Krieger's barrel break-in procedure at
http://www.jarheadtop.com/Kriger%20Barrels.htm . He's one of the top barrel makers in the world and his advice is probably worth listening to. It certainly can't hurt.

You might also check out Varmint Al's break-in procedure at http://www.cctrap.com/~varmint/ashot.htm#Break . This is very different, and a lot less trouble, than anything you've probably heard before. I used this procedure to break-in a Tikka 695 (30-06) and subsequently shot a 3 shot group into a single ragged hole at 100yds using my own hand loads.

As far as Moly Coated bullets, a Moly coated bore will foul less quickly, all other things being equal. A barrel so treated will also generally maintain its accuracy longer between cleanings and is easier to clean. Ideally, you would moly coat the bore and also moly coat the bullets.

I shoot Highpower competitions and moly coated the bore on my AR-15 and moly coat all the bullets. I usually shoot at least two, and sometimes three, 88 round matches without cleaning the bore and there is no copper fouling and no apparent loss of accuracy.

[This message has been edited by pbash (edited January 04, 2000).]

Back