Barrel break-in poll

To break-in or not to break-in

• YES. You MUST clean the rifle after every shot for 20+ rounds with special products and ammunition.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

toppermost

I have looked and there does not appear to be much consensus on this. So I am doing it the cheap and east way... Please vote!

I recommend cleaning a new gun before you first shoot it. After that just clean at regular intervals or before you put it up for an extended time.

I never heard a single word about the matter when I was growing up. People are naturally always searching...........:rolleyes:

-7-

I started in with centerfire in 1950. My uncle never mentioned "break in" and he'd started with centerfire in the 1920s. I never heard of such a thing until here at TFL, sometime in 1999.

So, damfino. I've had plenty of sub-MOA groups through the decades, and never had any trouble with cleaning a barrel.

Now, a rough barrel can be cleaned up by burnishing, but that a whole 'nother deal.

I had never "broken in" a rifle before. All of my rifles (not counting .22 LR or chromed AR barrel) take a bit of cleaning to get them really clan. I just bought a custom 308 and decided to "brake the barrel in". I cleaned it after every shot for the first ten rounds. Then ever third shot for the next 12. I've never before had a rifle barrel clean so easily and come so completely clean. I'm a believer!

Here's what I do...

Clean the new gun... Take it to the range... Fire one round... Clean the bore.. Fire a five shots.. Clean the bore... Fire another five shot group and clean it again... Then I shoot it normally...

Nothing insane.. It was how I was taught and I continue to do it... Dad brought me up on precision rifles shooting little targets at extended ranges.. So I might have had a different shooting upbringing than some people...

Breaking in barrels is like religion, women or seasoning food. Do whatever you want with each that makes you feel good.

I've never "broke in" a barrel. All the ones I used in competition shot great from the start. In talking with others classified at top levels and holding records, only a very few ever broke in a barrel. Most felt it was a waste of barrel life.

What do folks think breaking in a barrel does to it anyway?

Last edited:
Clean it and lube it before going to the range the first time and of course clean it when you are done. After that, shoot it, clean it and repeat. That is really all you need to do to break in a new rifle.

Back