Barnes bullets weight???

hoofmender

Hey all...... I acquired 4 boxes of Barnes TTSX 25 cal 100 gr polymer tipped boattails that I want to try in my .257 Roberts, and my .257 Ackley Improved..... I opened a box and ran the bullets across the scale... none of them weighed anywhere near 100gr.... the lightest was 105.1gr , the heaviest weighed 105.6 gr..... all boxes are the same lot, so I expect the other three to be similar..... I've seen larger spreads before but I'm curious as to why these are actually 105gr bullets but labeled as 100gr? Any ideas?
I'm thinking whatever I hit with them won't know the difference........ thanks, DW

Hey all...... I acquired 4 boxes of Barnes TTSX 25 cal 100 gr polymer tipped boattails that I want to try in my .257 Roberts, and my .257 Ackley Improved..... I opened a box and ran the bullets across the scale... none of them weighed anywhere near 100gr.... the lightest was 105.1gr , the heaviest weighed 105.6 gr..... all boxes are the same lot, so I expect the other three to be similar..... I've seen larger spreads before but I'm curious as to why these are actually 105gr bullets but labeled as 100gr? Any ideas?
I'm thinking whatever I hit with them won't know the difference........ thanks, DW
That has been common for Barnes for a long time, ESPECIALLY in the TTSX.

Thanks...... shouldn't be a problem as long as it's consistant throughout the lot..... I thought a half grain deviation from lightest to heaviest was a bit much????

What matters more to accuracy is bullet mass symmetry about its long axis. A 0.5-grain variation in a 105-grain bullet is not quite half a percent. If the shapes are uniform, that will result in that same percentage variation in ballistic coefficient. By way of comparison, Bryan Litz says he's measured up to 3% variation in BC from the same box of match bullets, so some variation in BC is normal, and the amount of weight difference you are talking about wouldn't contribute too much to that. Barnes claims a G1 BC of 0.357 for that bullet, and it probably reflects what they got at muzzle velocity for test samples that weighed 100 grains. Being 5.1 to 5.6% heavier, your BC should be varying from about 0.375 to about 0.377. You can put those numbers in a ballistics program and see what difference it makes to the trajectory at your muzzle velocity.

Back