Bargains.....

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Been posting/reading here for a bit less than 2 years. One thing that has impressed me is the incredible way this forum can communicate to the folks how/where/how much a good shotgun, ammo or addons can be found.

I've taken advantage of this a few times on ammo, and darn near did it with the Walmart 1100s.

So, let's open up a thread and mention any real bargains and buys that we have run across, to help out our brethren and get folks shooting more, for less.

A couple of examples:

Walmart's marketing of those Federal Multi Purpose loads in the 4 box sleeves. These are great ammo for clay games, fully the equal of the AA Heavy Target loads or STS. Hard shot, nice patterns.I've seen it on sale for $13.99.

The KO Brenneke slug as marketed by Dick's Sporting Goods(and possibly others) for a mere $1.97 a 5-pack. The 1 oz slug does a number on deer, and has proven to be accurate as any other slug or more in my two 870 slug shooters.

Next, the Estate "SWAT" 00. This reduced recoil load patterns nicely, tighter than my previous pet load. Natchez Shooter's Supply has it on sale occasionally for $2.19 a TEN pack.

Now it's your turn.....

Last edited:
The Rem 870 vent rib in black tacktical :p polymer is $255 at Walmart as we speak. The 870 Express in fake walnut is $244. Highly good s/gs. Also the 1100 Auto is $328 in black. There is a Vanguard rifle polymer stock (looked like a Weatherby by the bolt) was somewhere in the $300s. I didn't handle it so don't know for sure who made it. Good gun buys at Walmart!:cool:

If you live in the Southeast, I recommend looking at an Academy Sports. http://www.academy.com/ Like Wal-Mart, it is an evil chain. However, the staff is generally much more knowledgable about firearms, and Academy often has excellent prices on long guns. As an example, I got an 870 Express 12 ga. for only $210 tax included. This is due in part to the fact that some Academy stores occasionally run 15% off sales on firearms. They also run other promotionals such as free aluminum hard cases with the purchase of a Remington or Browning shotgun. Check them out if you've got one near you.

Wal-Mart by my house is selling UMC (Rem) 55gr FMJ .223 ammo at $3.78 per box of 20 rounds. I don't know if this price is at all Wal-Mart or just this store.

I took advice from some members here when I started skeet/clays shooting this year. I went in search of a discontinued Berretta 390 Sporting model (replaced by the higher priced 391) and found one NIB for about $500+tax. My skeet range master was able to get me Challenger loads for $38/case and Rem STS premiers for $47/case.
Hey, I like bargains and good advice!

Bargains

In used target guns, the Krieghoff Model 32 is one of the best bargains because it is much cheaper than the newer K-80. Krieghoff stands by all of its products and their refurbing prices are quite reasonable. Think top grade target gun for about 1/3rd the price.

Bulk purchases through your club directly from the company. Lead, shells, primers, wads can usually be purchased in bulk lots and shared among club members.

The Grand in Vandalia is not as bargain rich as it once was but you can still find some good deals. It's also a place where you will find hundreds of shotguns and thousands of accessories all in one place.

Paul

This is a real good idea to keep TFL members alerted to bargains. The power of the internet. I love it!;)

Yup, ain't it great! The power of the Internet indeed.

Consider this....

On that thread about the Walmart 1100s, there were less than 100 responses in almost two months, IIRC. However, the last count I noted of viewers showed about 1800 and still climbing. That's a lot of folks to reach on a site and thread.

Great idea, Erick.....

The Vanguard rifle is a Weatherby and is in 300 Weatherby Magnum :eek: only $388 at Wally World decked out in black polymer. There are also Win Model 70s and Rem 710s or whatever the new model is called at < $400 for the basic black version. Not bad atall.

Sad but true

I live near a retirement community here in AZ, and due to demographics there are estate sales quite frequently here. We've all heard about the $100 Colt 1911, or some other great firearm story, but I heard one and saw the results yesterday first-hand.

A member of the local trap club picked up a Beretta, I'm not sure of the model but it was an older but well-maintained gun, maybe a Silver Pigeon. His neighbor passed away, and he bought it for $200 cash! The guys last night were saying it's easily worth a couple of thousand, which makes me wonder about it being a Silver Pigeon.

Sad but true, there are often good deals at estate sales.

Check Six

Indeed, 96. My carry gun is a 1943 Colt GM with British proof marks that was turned into a Camp Perry gun by Alton Dinan. Bomars, tweaked trigger, and it fed a sized, empty case on a bet.

I purchased it from the Widow for $250. I told her it was worth more, but that was all I had. She wanted it out of the house,so it's now mine. BTW, it came with a 22 conversion unit, a Colt Ace type setup.

Back