Bare steel under scope bases - Options?

TargetHitter

Inactive
I just got a second-hand Swiss Arms SHR 970 rifle at an auction. It's basically a Sig/Sauer:
www.guncity.com/30-06-swiss-arms-shr-970-236413
https://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/OwnerManual/SHR970OM.pdf

It came with scope bases screwed into the front and rear of the receiver. When I removed them to upgrade, I got a surprise - shiny bare steel underneath! I'm guessing the previous owner scraped off the coating, dunno why. Or maybe the old bases were rubbing?

My new bases won't cover the entire area of bare steel. Apparently the rifle's coating is Ilaflon.

What should I do? How bad would a bluing touch-up look?

I take it that it's not a huge spot, and will be under the scope?

You could probably just mask that off, and give it a couple of coats of a good brand of black semi-gloss or flat enamel. Since the scope and new bases will be over it, the new paint will be away from where the gun normally wears. Just clean the bare metal well with acetone or mineral spirits, then mask and spray. I would say that semi-gloss will be a close match.

That's right, the only areas that will be exposed after the new bases go on are just a matchstick-thin margin on the sides of the bases, and a section behind the rear base perhaps the size on a micro SD card.

Thanks for the DIY tips!

Back