Banish 22 or 223 suppressor with .17HMR

Glorfindel

I have a Tikka .17 HMR and both of these suppressors.

I bought the 223 to use with the rifle but it is so big that it makes the gun so front heavy I'm really not sure I want to use it.

Anyone use the banish 22 or a suppressor like it on a 17 HMR? I am worried the power will eventually damage the baffles and/or I will have to clean it extremely frequently.

Appreciate any real word feedback. Thanks. et.

I run a Spectre II on my 17hmr. Im amazed at how quiet it actually is. My buddy and i sit on a hillside, chatting without earpro, shooting prairie dogs as they show up and go right back to chatting.

The supersonic crack is always going to be there. I dont think the extra volume of a 223 can will make a big (or any) difference.

The Banish 22 is rated for the cartridge. It should be fine.

The only (almost common) baffle failures that I know of in rimfire cans are with the early TacSol Ascent 22s. But, even then, TacSol will replace the baffle stack for free, at least once, with the newer, stronger design.

I found out about that replacement program after .22 WMR caused two baffles to collapse in mine.

I have Ruger branded and Sprectre branded RF cans, both rated for 17HMR. Can't tell any real difference between the 2, one fits the threaded muzzle better, so I use it on the 93R17. RF ammo is very dirty, so use one that can be cleaned w/o lots of effort.

Either, both will work. I'd probably use the rimfire can.

I was at a suppressor shoot and one demonstrator had a user serviceable can rated for 5.56. He had been using it on suppressed rimfire he said for 5K rounds. He showed us the dirty internals, put it together and did a 30 round mag dump from an AR-15. He then took it off, and the high pressure of the 5.56 rounds blew most of the residue off the baffles.

I'd only do this if your CF suppressor is user serviceable. It doesn't mean you won't need to clean it, you'll just extend the cleaning intervals out. I'd want an all stainless construction of internals as well to throw the internals in a hydrosonic cleaner, and clean the main body by hand to protect the finish.

Some suppressor the baffle stacks are not removable, and aren't considered user serviceable by manufacturer. So I wouldn't shoot rimfire through a suppressor that the baffles couldn't be removed from the suppressor tube.

Another direction

I was considering a suppressor for my .22s to permit backyard plinking, not so much. I'm rural but barely inside city limits, no firearms discharge permitted.
So I am joining the world of PCP guns, both suppressed and full auto are on the menu. No pesky paperwork, no nothing, shipped direct to your door via the brown truck 'O' happiness.:)
Just an airgun?.....youtube has video of a cape buffalo taken with an PCP air rifle. I am waiting for the suppressor for my new Beeman 2028 pistol, it is very loud. Many of the PCP guns have noise suppression built in to the barrel, not this one. The beauty of PCP is Suppression costs are quite low and no tax stamp. The 2028 pistol was about 150, the adapter and suppressor costs 40 bucks. Under 200 for .22 practice in the backyard. The barrier to entry? A reliable very high pressure air source. The cheapo Chinese high pressure compressors are now decent, under 200 to have an electric compressor. No chasing 40 dollar a lb. powder and dime a primer components, air is free. Not quite the BB guns we knew as kids...not even close.

I've been looking at those PCP air rifles as I'd love to try them in .25 cal or larger. However, I am rural and .22 LR and larger are not an issue in my back yard. Then there is the fact a PCP air rifle in .25 cal or larger with a compressor will cost as much as a nice centerfire rifle or another suppressor.

Ricklin said:
No chasing 40 dollar a lb. powder and dime a primer components,

You haven't been chasing for a hot minute! Powder is now between $50-60 per lb most stores around here. Varget is closer to $70! Don't get me started on BH209 for my ML, it's $10+ an ounce.

Primers haven't gone much over 10 cents, unless you're trying to find some GMM LR primers. LR GMM is about 20 cents per primer if you can find them. CCI BR4 SR primers are about the same price a GMM LR. Luckily, I haven't any loads that require either of those primers.

I'm glad since the shortages of the Obama years I started gravitating toward .308 sized cases or smaller. Just like I've gone from an F250 daily driver down to a Honda. I still have those larger cartridges and pickup, but they're highly specialized use only now.

I've had PCPs for years. I now have three FX guns - Crown (.30), Impact (.22), Wildcat (.25).

All are among the most accurate weapons I've ever had. The Crown will regularly shoot 50Y groups under .25". Only my Tikka firearms are as accurate.

I killed a fox instantly with a headshot from the Wildcat at 40Y a few years ago.

Of course, these guns are expensive. And they must be rebuilt about every five years - they'll start leaking.

As good as they are, a .17HMR outperforms any of them for longer-range shooting. The Impact .22 is tuned to shoot slugs at 940 FPS, but cannot match the Tikka .17HMR, which if flat to 1/2 out to over 100Y!

Man O man

I did a little informal shooting last night in the basement. The Beeman 2028 is quite accurate. My toy fund will be purchasing a Hatsan Blitz next go round. So far my little HPA compressor is working great, fills the Beeman really quick. I need to buy a tank, the pump is big enough to fill tanks. I reengineered the intake air to feed 9-10 PSI air from my system. I have an instrument quality system with high end drying and filtration. Not looking for any increase in filling speed just clean dry air. So far so good. It is a must to keep the intake pressure very low. Less than 10 PSI works for me, more than that is too great a starting load for the motor. Real easy to do, the intake is female 1/4" I just put a male QD for my air line. Made up another with the original filter on a female QD if I need to use the compressor away from home.
I may or may not get in to the big bore air guns.

Back