banded front sight

mike6975

i see these on centerfire revolvers and higher grade model sixguns,is there a sight that sells these or can i make myself?,any help would be most appreciated.

mike

It's part of the barrel. You usually only see them on higher grade custom guns because they are more costly to produce than a regular round barrel. They really don't serve much of a purpose, other than providing a shoulder for the ejector housing to bear against. There are ways to secure the housing that don't involve a barrel band. Most have it done for looks.

thanks for the reply,the one i've seen though is at rthe front of the barrel and is attached to the front sight instead of being dovetailed in the band looks like it's holding the sight itself.i hope that clears things up a little.

mike

I haven't seen any for sale. Custom gunsmiths do install them but it's not cheap. I think it would look kinda tacky myself.

Got a picture or know who built it? Most the custom smiths cut the barrels on a lathe from oversized blanks, with the barrel band integral with the barrel. Then a sight base is made to fit and silver soldered in place over the barrel and band. Some, like David Clements, use an EDM machine and can cut the whole thing from the blank. With an integral top rib if desired.

Like this one from Bowen's site?
Stainless%20Nimrod%20001.jpg

thanks craig,thats exactly what im talkin about,i personally like them and think they add a cool factor to the gun.i appreciate your help

mike

Back