Ballistol Rocks

deerslayer303

So there I was, giving both my nagant revolvers a coat of Ballistol. This is the first time I've used the stuff. When I was done, I figured what the heck, I gave that old hard Russian leather holster a coat of it too. And folks right before my very eyes it made that old tough holster soft and very pliable. SO I said let me try that again, so I went out to the storage shed and dug through some boxes and found some old Mosin ammo pouches and another nagant revolver holster. I got the same result. AMAZING. On top of being an awesome cleaner. I think I've found my do all lube. I guess the old timers were right and stick to it for good reason. Maybe this young whippersnapper should listen, lol.

Well, Ballistol is the fountain of youth for old leather. It even defeats the dreaded white mold. Just don't drink it, or you'll be able to poop in a coke bottle at 35 yards. IMHE.

You should not use it on leather holsters if it softens the leather. The holster should be stiff so it has retention and will hold the pistol. A soft holster is useless to carry a concealed carry gun.

Foxytwo, have you ever seen a military nagant revolver holster used as a concealed carry holster? LOL. I wouldn't put it in my pancake holsters. Those nagant holsters that came with the guns were so stiff, the ballistol made them pliable again.

if it didn't reek to high heavens I would still be using ballistol. I've since switched to safariland CLP for gun stuff. anything that has to do with leather I use obenhaufs boot oil.

Yeah you're right it does smell pretty strong. I went to it so I could have a do all gun cleaner and lube for all my guns since I do alot of black powder shooting also.

I didn't know that ballistol was non-petroleum based. good to know, I usually just run a tub of hot water, fill with dawn and clean that way. finish with bore butter.

Yeah I have been doing that too, and I still will flush the front stuffer that way. But this Ballistol will replace alot of crap on the shelf I think.

Ballistol is fantastic with low toxicity of use. Tremendous for the lubricationing of guns.

Smell like ripe lemonade mixed with Old Man's licorice though. :(

deerslayer303 I am somewhat familiar with those holsters, but I am sure some people reading this thread might not be. I would hate to have someone use it on one of their carry holsters and ruin it.

Read my earlier post on Ballistol, and you'll know I go nowhere without it.
I dan it analysed long time ago by a chemical company's lab. and they told me it is based om tree resin. Whatever it is made of, it is brilliant.

Back