Ballistol oil stinks bad

lol you dont like that stinky stuff after all?

It reminds me of bug spray.

Alcohol and a little gun oil at the end of every cleaning will do the job.

He's wanting to substitute Ballistol in a patch lube.

I haven't tried it as a patch lube yet, but did make up some moose milk to try.

I like everything about it (except for availability) including the smell.

I agree with you, it does stink. I still use it though as I am convinced of what it does and do not like the chemical solvents and petroleum based oils.

Years ago, I bought a used revolver that was last cleaned with something that smelled like licorice (anise). I would like to be able to identify what that was if anyone has any idea. It might be a good substitute for you. It smelled great.

In the olden days, BP shooters kept their patches in their mouths.
Ballistol is more of a cleaner than a lube. It dissolves BP.

Years ago, I bought a used revolver that was last cleaned with something that smelled like licorice (anise). I would like to be able to identify what that was if anyone has any idea.

That's what Ballistol smells like. I hate it.

Better choices on patch lubes, you call

Is there anything else that can be used to make patch lube other than Ballistol oil
There are numerous patch lubes on the market and yes, I suppose you can use Ballistol. You have not stated whether or not, you are cutting it down or using full strength. I only use it primarily for cleaning BP and replacement propellants. I use a mixture 50/50 mineral spirits and Ballistol. It does cut down on the stink. ;)

Be Safe !!!

as per Dutch Schoultz mix 1 part ballistol oil to 7 parts water, cut your patching material into strips and soak them in the mixture, then strip the excess out by running between two fingers and lay them on a non absorbent pan over night. The water will evaporate leaving just enough ballistol oil as a patch lube. The patch material should feel almost dry. Use small amount of moose milk to wipe the barrel between shots.
When you mix it stinks bad. After the patches have sat over night there is hardly no smell at all.

I have used Crisco, Gun Grease, Axle Grease, Bore Butter, a few others that don't come to mind right away, and slobber.

Don't stick a patch lubed with axle grease in your mouth.

I don't stick the patches in my mouth anyhow. Mostly because one of my favorite patch materials is those 25 pound Lawrence brand shot bags that shotgun BBs come in. Very tightly woven cotton duck that's about .025" thick. But they once held lead shot so I don't stick them in my mouth.
They are essentially free to me, so I use them up as patching. If you shoot as much registered trap as I do, you tend to acquire a lot of empty shot bags. Beats throwing them away.

Black powder smoke stinks pretty bad also. I don't mind the odor of Ballistol.
I'm the other way around. I don't mind bp smell or even Pyrodex but I can't deal with Ballistol.

Napa Auto sells a milk like cutting/cooling lube used in CNC lathing and manual lathe machining. Doesn't stink as bad as Ballistol but lubes a barrels patch just as good when diluted with H2O so I've read.

I don't use it to clean either (water and dish soap). I love Ballistol as it will mix with water but allow it to evaporate leaving behind just the oil to lubricate and preserve my guns. And that it works well with wood (and many other things) is a plus to me.

I also was told, and tested, that it can be applied to a gun you won't have time to clean when you get home. The idea is that the fouling absorbs the oil leaving no room for moisture. I tested this on two revolvers leaving them in my hot and humid Texas garage for two days and found it indeed does work. A nice trick I think.

lol,,,yep it smells like dirty socks to me,,,,but i use it on my BPCG guns straight and it works great for cleaning up the black powder and lead,,,,never a speck of rust anywhere for over 20 years on the big gun trail

as for the smell of black powder,,,,i just love that,,,,ahhh the smell of the HOLY BLACK IN THE MORN,,,nothing like it

ocharry

I also was told, and tested, that it can be applied to a gun you won't have time to clean when you get home. The idea is that the fouling absorbs the oil leaving no room for moisture. I tested this on two revolvers leaving them in my hot and humid Texas garage for two days and found it indeed does work. A nice trick I think.

I live in south Mississippi and I can do that without doing anything.

Mineral oil. I've used it for years on all my guns. It doesn't harm wood, a huge plus imo.

.02. David. :)

Ps -- sniff, sniff -- sort of like it !

Back